sudden performance problems

Lyngtoft

n3wb
Reaction score
HI,

I have been running BI for some time now and things have been great, only had a few issues with motion detecion (or false/too many detections) - which are my own since I haven't messed around with it enough.

But yesterday I had a power outage and everything was of course restarted and since then my BI has been really bad.

Some info:
I'm running 4 cameras on a Xeon server with 72gb ram - it's running on the "Host" instance, and I know Xeon processors doesn't support hardware acceleration, but again it was working a few days ago..
I have been through the CPU performance tips and everything was already setup.

I deleted all old recordings and moved "New" onto primary SSD storage to rule disk performance out. Didn't have any effect.

This is what happens:
Logging in to BI on the server it idles around 7-10% CPU
Capture.PNG

As soon as I open BI in a browser on another machine, or via my phone this happens:
Capture2.PNG

Anyone with any ideas as to what I should look at?
Opening one video stream basically kills off my server for a few minutes untill CPu is back to around the 5-10%.

Last edited:

Lyngtoft

n3wb
Reaction score
Was messing with "Limit decoding unless necessary"
If I disable this on 3 or all 4 cameras the whole interface goes to it's knees. It took 30 minutes of trying to just disable two cameras, the windows kept resizing and wouldn't load correctly.
Capture3.PNG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reboot everything, including bi PC, cameras, switches, router. Shutdown everything, then turn on the router and switches, wait for a few minutes, then turn on the cameras, and last the bi PC. Wait for a few minutes. Before looking at the performance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Was messing with "Limit decoding unless necessary"
If I disable this on 3 or all 4 cameras the whole interface goes to it's knees. It took 30 minutes of trying to just disable two cameras, the windows kept resizing and wouldn't load correctly.
View attachment 39185
Your problem is that your server is way underpowered for your cameras or you're not using direct to disc. We don't know the specs of the server or the cameras. The reason this is happening is because limit decoding works until you log in remotely. When you log in remotely the feeds are decoded. What you need to do is disable streaming of the all cameras group and any other group of cameras you have so that only the camera you are viewing is decoded. Also note that using limit decoding screws up motion detection, it will be unusable for any accurate detection.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me when people claim to have been through everything in the CPU optimization wiki and yet they still have no idea what happened when they run into the Limit decoding pitfall that is described in great detail.

Lyngtoft

n3wb
Reaction score
I have tried rebooting everything without any luck unfortunately.

Your problem is that your server is way underpowered for your cameras or you're not using direct to disc. We don't know the specs of the server or the cameras. The reason this is happening is because limit decoding works until you log in remotely. When you log in remotely the feeds are decoded. What you need to do is disable streaming of the all cameras group and any other group of cameras you have so that only the camera you are viewing is decoded. Also note that using limit decoding screws up motion detection, it will be unusable for any accurate detection.
Well it's a Xeon E5-2620 with 12 virtual cores and a lot of ram, and again it has been running perfectl for the last many months. And I am of course using direct to disk. For testing now I have also stopped recording.

It never ceases to amaze me when people claim to have been through everything in the CPU optimization wiki and yet they still have no idea what happened when they run into the Limit decoding pitfall that is described in great detail.
Nice comment... I have read it, and been through the suggested settings. My second post was me trying different things to see what had any effect.

Lyngtoft

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll look into Windows updates, must be something there that caused this...

Lyngtoft

n3wb
Reaction score
A reinstall of BI fixed it. I'm now again running at full speed. (max 15% CPU when remote viewing)