Suggest Dahua vs Hikvision for home use and cloud upload on motion

Reaction score
I'm new to video surveillance topic. Figured our reading that Reolink is not good. Lorex is a subsidiary of Dahua and for some reason not as good as it.
I have experience running PC 24/7 and I definitely don't want to do that again. Looking for NVR solution with cloud upload upon motion event.

The setup is for my home.
Please suggest some models for the following:
8 channel PoE NVR with:
- upload to cloud on motion event
- mobile app notification
- email notification

I think Hikvision NVR will suite my needs. However I see people here in love with Dahua. What's the pros/cons of Hikvision vs Dahua for my needs?
I'm ok to pay monthly subscription for cloud service. But I found How to setup Hikvision DVR for Google Drive recording - Learn CCTV.com that one can setup hikvision to upload to google drive. Not sure if I'm going to use that as payed cloud subscription brings more peace of mind.
Dahua NVRS seems to geared more toward business/professionals and I can't find any info if it can be configured to upload to cloud storage on motion event.

I've read here people suggest cloud upload is not good. However what stops burglars from taking your local NVR and walking away with all video captured? I think cloud upload on motion is a must have.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new to video surveillance topic. Figured our reading that Reolink is not good. Lorex is a subsidiary of Dahua and for some reason not as good as it.
I have experience running PC 24/7 and I definitely don't want to do that again. Looking for NVR solution with cloud upload upon motion event.

8 channel PoE NVR with:
- email notification

I think Hikvision NVR will suite my needs. However I see people here in love with Dahua. What's the pros/cons of Hikvision vs Dahua for my needs?
I'm ok to pay monthly subscription for cloud service. But I found How to setup Hikvision DVR for Google Drive recording - Learn CCTV.com that one can setup hikvision to upload to google drive. Not sure if I'm going to use that as payed cloud subscription brings more peace of mind.
Dahua NVRS seems to geared more toward business/professionals and I can't find any info if it can be configured to upload to cloud storage on motion event.

I've read here people suggest cloud upload is not good. However what stops burglars from taking your local NVR and walking away with all video captured? I think cloud upload on motion is a must have.

Thanks!
You make it sound like running a pc 24/7 is a problem or that its any different than running an NVR 24/7, you are simply misinformed.

Cloud upload is for suckers developer by corporations to generate recurring monthly revenue from folks who dont know any better. You can backup to a hidden nas or NVR. Burglars dont steal pc or nvrs. You can lock them up or tie them down of you wish. Whats to stop a burglar from cutting your cable line rendering your cloud backup useless? You can go on and on with your what if scenarios. An alarm system is a must have. Having video after the fact is going to do little to no good. They will not be looking for you NVR while the alarm is going off. You can also backup to sd card in the cameras.

Reaction score
Internet line runs underground. To cut near house you've got to walk under cameras first.
Be constructive please. Fenderman what do you think about hikvision + free cloud storage?
Ayn feedback on Amcrest NVR's + cloud storage?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Internet line runs underground. To cut near house you've got to walk under cameras first.
Be constructive please. Fenderman what do you think about hikvision + free cloud storage?
Ayn feedback on Amcrest NVR's + cloud storage?
They enter your house above ground, they can cut them before the clip gets uploaded, they can wear a mask and your render your clip useless and more importantly you won't have any clips of them making any entry into your home so even if you can ID them there's not much you can do with that evidence other than a minor charge for destroying your cable line and even that's a stretch because there will be no video of the actual line cutting.
I will be constructive you are being stupid. Don't be a sucker and buy into this cloud nonsense.
If you're asking if I think exposing your camera and uploading your video to chinese-owned servers is a good idea... I think the question answers itself.
Spend your money on an alarm system.
An amcrest NVR is perfect for you, some people just need to learn the hard way.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

8 channel PoE NVR with:
- email notification

Thanks!
Welcome @johnsmith7812

Remember to check out the cliff notes we've gathered a lot of the knowledge and experience being shared and put them together there as a good place for those new to this subject area to check out.

There's also a lot of good discussion here on Blue Iris and Blue Iris vs Hikvision / Dahua NVRs as well as some discussion on other VMS software running on PCs.

In terms of running something 24/7 - some of the newer Dell optiplexes I have used are significantly quieter than the NVRs. It is also possible to get a PoE switch which is quiet, especially if you're looking for a low port count.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you decide?

I am considering the same. I have local Purple storage but the storage offerings at Google are interesting to say the least. The small amount that you get with each email account is a start but for think $10-12 / month) you can get unlimited storage. There are options to mount that storage as a local drive as well

Reaction score
Hi MickPB,
I ended up buying amcrest 16 channel nvr and amcrest cameras separately.
I like that nvr a little buggy in some places like saving settings per channel but still better than reolink I returned. I like amcrest phone app (android here) and desktop is ok.
I don't use cloud storage.
I have free email with unlimited storage and setup nvr to send snapshots on motion detection to that email.
Amcrest storage is very pricey. I played around with local ftp on NAS and it works. Still takes a lot of space and give constant load to NAS. You can do it though - ftp to NAS and setup cleanup script to delete old files.
Check out this calculator Security NVR and DVR Hard Drive Calculator
to estimate storage space you'll need.

2 cents on cameras:
Spiders really like bullets. Spider web messes motion detection at night. But bullets I use give better quality image over turrets. Sadly bullets from amcrest don't have audio.
Amcrest PTZ with zoom - really nice but expensive.