Suggest IP cam with excellent audio

bigjoe99

n3wb
Reaction score
While I don't specialize in security cameras I increasingly get IT clients wanting good audio capabilities for customer service areas. To add to the confusion we have different versions of Hikvision firmware, etc that have working/non working audio. I don't have time for that. I need suggestions for an indoor IP cam at least 2mp and PoE that has excellent out of the box audio capability combined with Blue Iris. Or, can be combined with a specific external mic to produce excellent audio. Please be specific with models and sellers.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While I don't specialize in security cameras I increasingly get IT clients wanting good audio capabilities for customer service areas. To add to the confusion we have different versions of Hikvision firmware, etc that have working/non working audio. I don't have time for that. I need suggestions for an indoor IP cam at least 2mp and PoE that has excellent out of the box audio capability combined with Blue Iris. Or, can be combined with a specific external mic to produce excellent audio. Please be specific with models and sellers.
Hi Bigjoe,

perhaps an external microphone would work better

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE seems not bad, but if need excellent one have to add the voice pick up device.

bigjoe99

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't mind an external mic if they work better than integrated. Being able to hear conversations 10-15 feet away with good clarity is key. Still, specific model advice is needed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
audio works with blue iris on all hikvision firmware versions ....if you dont have audio its user error.
you will need to posts signs alerting people that audio is being recorded.

bigjoe99

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a mix of older axis and HVs, and audio only works on Axis...and badly. Doesn't work at all on the HVs, and my assumption was it was due to firmware not working on non US versions as per discussed in these forums. If I'm just stupid please tell me what options on the HVs need to be enabled because there aren't that many.
Legal issues are up to the owner.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
One and only microphone would be the microseven out door powered microphone
This thing is phenomenal at audio

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a mix of older axis and HVs, and audio only works on Axis...and badly. Doesn't work at all on the HVs, and my assumption was it was due to firmware not working on non US versions as per discussed in these forums. If I'm just stupid please tell me what options on the HVs need to be enabled because there aren't that many.
Legal issues are up to the owner.
what discussion indicated that there is an audio issue with blue iris? if you have a hacked camera with messed up firmware that is not a blue iris issue.

Reaction score
One and only microphone would be the microseven out door powered microphone
This thing is phenomenal at audio
Any guidelines for mating this with a Dahua 4231 or 52xx Starlight turret?
IMG-1889.JPG
Answering my own question, since my 4231 Starlight was easily available.
After dissassembling the camera, connector J9 is the microphone input.
Biggest problem will be maintaining watertight status, but silicone sealant should do it.

Last edited: