Suggest me 2.8mm cameras

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I recently bought 2x IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP Starlights, but they aren't available now to buy more.

I only need 2.8mm not necessarily varifocal. Would like it so see at night/day.

What are some other choices that would be worth the cost?

Thanks

Edit: Could anyone tell me why I should or shouldn't buy any of these?

IPC-HDW4233C-A -https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABFE6PP5061&Description=dahua%20starlight&cm_re=dahua_starlight-_-9SIABFE6PP5061-_-Product
IPC-HDW4433C-A - Dahua Multi-language IPC-HDW4433C-A 2.8mm lens Starlight Mini Dome IP Camera 4MP POE replace ipc-hdw4431c-a IP67 Built-in web CCTV Camera - Newegg.com
DS-2CD2342WD-I -https://www.amazon.com/HIKVISION-Megapixel-Outdoor-Surveillance-DS-2CD2342WD-I/dp/B01EN3YBZ4/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544935763&sr=1-5&keywords=hikvision

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI @MrN1ce9uy

Both of the IPC-HDW4233C-A and IPC-HDW4433C-A are Chinese market cameras - so do be aware of that, and thus there is a chance that you may not be able to update the firmware nor have them interoperate with an international or us model Dahua NVR, also a factory reset may cause the camera to restore it's Chinese firmware.

The IPC-HDW2231R-ZS should hopefully be restocked by Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) and will perform better than those 2 in low light.

Another option would be the IPC-HDW42xx turret model.

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see.

The multi-language camera does say "please do not update this camera."

They are so cheap I am tempted to buy one,.. or two. I use an offline Blue Iris PC.

What's the worst that can happen if I don't update it? What's so bad about not being able to update it?

(I'm thinking worst-case scenario it will be in Chinese and I will be stuck with translating Chinese to configure it.)

Are they actually Starlight cameras? Or could they be a fake? I'm just wanting to know the ins-and-outs of the market here.

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see.

The multi-language camera does say "please do not update this camera."

They are so cheap I am tempted to buy one,.. or two. I use an offline Blue Iris PC.

What's the worst that can happen if I don't update it? What's so bad about not being able to update it?

(I'm thinking worst-case scenario it will be in Chinese and I will be stuck with translating Chinese to configure it.)

Are they actually Starlight cameras? Or could they be a fake? I'm just wanting to know the ins-and-outs of the market here.

Thanks
@MrN1ce9uy

Without the ability to find proper spec sheets for these Chinese market cameras or comprehensive head to head reviews it is a challenge to determine how they really compare.

There are some comparisons reviews here with some Chinese market cameras - so do search for those model numbers and see if you can find any. ( tigerwillow has some Chinese Market camera and has shared some reviews, wopi may have also - so do check )

DO not trust the specs published by the vendors as we have no way to confirm them - and often they have a significant incentive to publish something which is a positive selling point even if it is not true.

Reaction score
Night-time images from the Chinese cameras are not nearly of the quality from an international Starlight camera. You pay less, but you get FAR LESS for your money.

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What if I wanted cameras with built-in microphones? Are there any good cameras with that feature?

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @MrN1ce9uy

Andy should be able to get you either model, do feel free to drop him a note directly and let him know you're an IPCT member - if you go paypal you maybe able to save a little there also as Ali, Ebay, Amazon all take their cut.

Also note - the ebay seller is using slow shipping from China ( btw this is where the USPS gets hit as China is considered a developing country and gets the USPS basically to over the in-USA shipping costs ), so if you want slower shipping you may ask Andy for that option.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Study this: cliff notes
You can compare features of cams on Dahua's International site.
Use a real computer, and not your phone.