Suggested hikvision product

Havealoha

n3wb
Reaction score
The choices at Hikvision make my head spin. I have 10 data centers that I need to record footage in when motion is detected at the door. I'd like the camera to be powered over Ethernet, send activity detection and other logs to splunk, and send video clips after motion is detected to a smb v3 share. I need 180 degree view and to be able to identify faces from 10 feet. I don't want any centralized software or a DVR to manage or license. Any suggested models?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The choices at Hikvision make my head spin. I have 10 data centers that I need to record footage in when motion is detected at the door. I'd like the camera to be powered over Ethernet, send activity detection and other logs to splunk, and send video clips after motion is detected to a smb v3 share. I need 180 degree view and to be able to identify faces from 10 feet. I don't want any centralized software or a DVR to manage or license. Any suggested models?
Welcome @Havealoha in Yomama

Your stated requirements:
180 degree view, ID at 10 feet.

ID spec = 100 ppf pixel denity

So you need 3.14 * 10 feet * 100 ppf = 3140 pixels of horizontal resolution

As this is a 180 degree view you also need to be considered about the lens, as the above is theoretical based on perfect pixels. In reality there is a distortion typically in lenses at very wide FOV.

Q: Are you aware of the security issues associated with Hikvision and other cameras? I would be very cautious about deploying them into a data center.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lol, I am the info-sec / cyber team.
OK, so you've got your work cut out then...

1) all of these cameras are insecure.
2) if you have any customers who have contracts with the US government - you may have compliance issues with Hikvision or Dahua equipment due to the new regulations and identified threats by Chinese espionage issues.

You're going to need to go beyond what we typically cover here and do the appropriate due diligence to determine what your risks are with the different equipment being deployed and also chat with your business development folks and see if you have any additional compliance issues you need to be concerned with. ( see #2 .. this imho could be an issue - again depends on what your customers are doing.. )