Suggestions for an outdoors, wide angle, wifi, blue iris compatible camera?

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

This forum was amazingly helpful with a previous thread I opened with a similar question, and helped me pick 2 hikvision cube cameras for indoor use.

This time I want to add a few outdoor cameras with the following features:

Outdoor use
Wi-fi
Wide angle (this one is important and I don't really want PTZ) - the wider the better
Built in IR (night vision)
Audio (nice to have)
POE (nice to have)
Small and inconspicuous
On the budget (hoping not to spend more than $199 per camera)

Any recommendations?

I love the Hikvision torrent one but just noticed it doesn't have wi-fi so it won't work for me.

Thanks!
Palmpilot

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think this is the best option to you:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-New-Arrival-3Mp-Audio-I-O-interface-Alarm-I-O-interface-Mini-Dome-Camera/638300_32229467849.html

It has audio I/O ports but not internal microphone. If you need internal microphone you should consider this one (please do note that the IR is weaker in this model):
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2014-New-Hikvision-dome-camera-DS-2CD2532F-I-S-W-Wifi-3MP-Mini-dome-Up-to/638300_1679331340.html

If you want to compare more please look at this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1loKNZBfMYreKzVVxS2Tpcmr8_7qMfevNFEB5yX1iZ3Q/view#gid=0

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Good recommendations from olli

I don't remember the 2532 costing that much. That is quite a bit to pay for a microphone and weaker infrared!

Make sure you get the 2.8mm lens option, whichever camera you buy. (smaller mm = wider view)

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, 2532 is kinda expensive. Probably because it's so small, and thus harder to manufacture. Also not so popular as 2132, for example. I also was thinking the 2.8mm lens, just forgot to mention. Good luck with your camera purchase!

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are there any non-Hikvision cameras that are similar to the 2132/2532 that you would recommend that meet the above criteria?
Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are there any non-Hikvision cameras that are similar to the 2132/2532 that you would recommend that meet the above criteria?
Thanks!
Dahua has some new wifi models listed on their site, but i dont know that anyone has tested them..
Remember that any camera can be turned into a wifi camera with a simple wifi bridge like this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W5500D0/ref=twister_B00W54ZWVG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Or better yet, if your electrical wiring supports it, powerline adapters.
Also strongly consider wiring the outdoor cameras...even if you have to pay someone to run the cable nice and cleanly..you will need to run power cable anyway...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you @fenderman I was planning to run Ethernet cable to that outside location for PoE but wasn't planing on taking it all the way down to a PoE switch somewhere (which I don't have at this point). But you bring up a good point and maybe I should do that instead of just injecting power as I originally planned.

How hard would it be to connect a small unnoticeable microphone to the cheaper 2132?
Did anyone do it already and have knowledge of what microphones will work and how to do it?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you @fenderman I was planning to run Ethernet cable to that outside location for PoE but wasn't planing on taking it all the way down to a PoE switch somewhere (which I don't have at this point). But you bring up a good point and maybe I should do that instead of just injecting power as I originally planned.

How hard would it be to connect a small unnoticeable microphone to the cheaper 2132?
Did anyone do it already and have knowledge of what microphones will work and how to do it?

Thanks!
There are two threads in the hikvision section about attaching mics..