Suggestions for camera setup for home use

Reaction score
I am looking for some suggestions on a camera setup for my home. As there has been a rise of recent theft and burglaries in my neighborhood. I have a larger home, with approximately .30 acre lot. At this time I am only looking for exterior cameras and maybe one or two in the garage.

I have been shopping around a bit and came across Lorex systems and a few others. I then stumbled onto this site and a lot of people are talking about the Duhua Starlight turret and bullet cameras. I would be looking to install about 8 cameras total for the time being. Also, probably looking to purchase a NVR as opposed to configuring BlueIris on a PC.

I have though about installing the cameras on the vinyl soffit/eaves of my home. The soffit area is about 13ft+ from the ground...not sure if this is ideal. I really don't want to mount anything on the side of the home as it's mostly brick and stucco with some siding.

Any suggestions on cameras/nvr are greatly appreciated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. The soffit area is about 13ft+ from the ground...not sure if this is ideal. I really don't want to mount anything on the side of the home as it's mostly brick and stucco with some siding.
Welcome Solaris,

13ft+ is most certainly too high if you want a good chance at any good ID images for suspects close to your home.

Definitely check out the cliff notes giomania has referred to, very good resource he has assembled for us from the numerous amounts of knowledge which has been shared here by members.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mistakes newbies make, mounting cams too high and using too wide of angle lens. Most of us have been there.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

Reaction score
Welcome Solaris,

13ft+ is most certainly too high if you want a good chance at any good ID images for suspects close to your home.

Definitely check out the cliff notes giomania has referred to, very good resource he has assembled for us from the numerous amounts of knowledge which has been shared here by members.
I'm definitely not going to mount them on the side of my home where they can tampered with easily. How am I supposed to mount them to stucco or brick and run the wires?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks The cliff notes were the first thing I read before posting
Hire an electrician that is certified in low voltage. One that does that work day in day out. He can do it neatly and quickly. Just have him run the wire.

Lots of folks here have mounted on brick and stucco. Read the installation subject area.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm definitely not going to mount them on the side of my home where they can tampered with easily. How am I supposed to mount them to stucco or brick and run the wires?
Hi Solaris,

Q: How am I supposed to mount them to stucco or brick and run the wires?
A: Numerous options and ways - think I've covered this in a few spots... not much time to lay it out right now, Looney2ns has a good suggestion if you're not comfortable.

Comment: I'm definitely not going to mount them on the side of my home where they can tampered with easily.
Reply: Do you want better ID shots or the cameras absolutely out of the way from someone being able to reach them?
Note, the better quality cameras we refer to have good metal cases and have some vandal resistance.

Recommend getting one camera and testing with a friend wearing a hoodie and a baseball cap both during the day and at night and pretending to steal packages, mails, breaking in to your cars, the front door, other doors, and checking windows.