Suggestions for external & internal camera system (accessible remotely?)

dpw818

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping to get some guidance on which types of camera system(s) would be best suited for the following uses, and how to structure the camera setup. What I'm looking to do is:

- Install cameras around the perimeter of the house that will provide full view coverage for security
- Install cameras on the inside of the house in certain areas, e.g., facing the entrance, living room, downstairs, for security

I really would like to avoid the cloud - certainly at least with the internal system. I'd also like to be sure there's no backdoor to the cameras, or at least not have that accessible. On the flipside, I'd like the option of being able to review footage remotely if possible.

Please tell me if I have this wrong:
- If I were using one of these cameras that is known for having open SSH backdoors, could I install a closed NVR system, e.g., one where the video runs directly to my recording device and not on my network. This would prevent someone using a camera backdoor. I could still attempt to view the recordings remotely by making the NVR web accessible.
- Alternately, if I had a reliable system like Hanwha Techwin, I could run this over the local network and make the cameras web accessible, gain per-camera live access via the camera's IP address.

Or do you recommend two different systems, like a live-access cloud solution for the front-door camera, and an NVR solution for the rest of the house?

Thanks for any guidance!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

I would use a dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE outside and A hikvision cube DS-2CD2442FWD-IW inside (or similar cube)

I do not use custom door bell cameras. Mount a good outdoor camera correctly provides much better coverage.

I have been to greenland a long time ago, welcome.

dpw818

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you so much for this feedback. I apologize for my lengthy delay in following up, A couple of life issues, but that's how it goes for everyone eventually.

One of my biggest concerns about some of these cameras is security. I had bought some Great Wall (GW) cameras, which is a re-branded ?, only to discover there a telnet port that the manufacturer leaves open (I do not have the password). This doesn't instill all that much confidence. I'm concerned about security, in general; I've read an article that said that "Hikvision is 42% controlled by the [...] government," and regardless the government, these things always make me nervous. Is this any concern, and do you have any other cameras that you'd recommend where there hasn't been any question about the company's partiality?

Thanks a ton.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your security is how you set the cameras up on your home network. Camera security is an issue with all cameras. What are you using to record the cameras ?

I only look at the cameras via the device I record to. I never access the cameras from the internet. The cameras are blocked from accessing the internet via the router and mac address.

dpw818

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a really good point. I would want the cameras to record around the house, as well as in several locations inside. Because this would be full security, I imagine I would want continuous recording rather than motion based for greatest reliability.

If it were continuous recording, could I, from outside the LAN, watch the video from the NVR as if it were live, or would I only be able to watch to the end of the video record time (e.g., keep on having to press "play")?

Thanks a ton.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not an NVR expert. But I believe you can have a live view. Most quality NVR are full function.

I use blue Iris on a standalone PC to record my cameras. I can access my home network via openvpn, the cameras are lived view rotating, each camera is view for a few seconds then move to the next camera. Or I select one camera for continuious live view.

Please read the items in the wiki in the blue bar at the top of the page.

dpw818

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you! One followup question: is there any benefit to running the cameras on their own network? I mean, literally, running copper to the cameras to own router which is connect to the DVR, whereas the rest of the house would be on its own network? I could then connect the DVR also to the router that has internet. This would provide the DVR internet access so I could access remote, yet physically firewall the cameras from reaching outside and from outside reaching in to the cameras. Or is this way overboard and something I could just as easily manage via router settings?