Suggestions for home system

Reaction score
Glad I found this forum. Looking for a solid 8 camera system, NVR and user friendly ios app. After meeting with local installers, they offered systems that function, less expensive, but not easy to use. I may have been spoiled by the Nest Dropcam, but there must be a system with an elegant app that includes the same functions as Dropcam (clean app, capture video clips, notification of movement, etc). Willing to spend more if needed. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Start by searching this forum. Many folks ask for recommendations and suggestion on hardware.
eg: buy nvr & 1 cam. Check image. for outside, nothing with less than 3.6mm lens.
Visit camera calculator website to select the right size lens for your situation. The test using the actual cam.

There isn't a simple recipe for a system. It varies based on many parameters ($, fov, 24/7 recording?, "event" features [motion detect outdoors is NOT advised], etc)

Fastb

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad I found this forum. Looking for a solid 8 camera system, NVR and user friendly ios app. After meeting with local installers, they offered systems that function, less expensive, but not easy to use. I may have been spoiled by the Nest Dropcam, but there must be a system with an elegant app that includes the same functions as Dropcam (clean app, capture video clips, notification of movement, etc). Willing to spend more if needed. Any assistance would be appreciated.
What is your budget? Otherwise any recommendation is a waste of time.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't get over fixated on the number of cams off the bat. You need an idea how many you want but don't plan everything on an arbitrary number of cameras in a kit from costco.
Fewer good cameras > more crap cameras.