Suggestions for PTZ Installation Welcomed

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As some of you know if you read my topic on a few of the captures I've made the past few years (A Few of My Security Cam Captures), I am not entirely new to security cameras. Now that I've read more and learned a lot, I realize I made a lot of mistakes early on and would have benefited by asking for other's assistance/advice. Now I am in the middle of upgrading my system. Previously I made the classic mistake of chasing megapixels, but have since learned better. My configuration of approximately 15 cameras is in flux as I migrate more toward Dahua equipment and to cameras with the 5442 sensor. I could use some assistance/advice with siting/planning installation of a newly-acquired PTZ camera, from Andy, of course. It is the model SD5A425XA-HNR.

A bit of background ... I now live in central Phoenix in a home my father purchased in 1961 and which was built a decade earlier. Mid-century homes of that era were simple homes, designed to address the needs of World-War II veterans and their families. The area has undergone a radical shift in demographic over the past 5 decades, and looks to be in the early stages of gentrification at this point. Less than a block away to my South, is a mall. In its heyday it was among the first air-conditioned malls in the US. It is now home to smaller stores few would recognize, though it is also home to a run-down and decrepit WalMart.

Alleys in Phoenix were originally established as a convenient place for residents to put trash bins for collection and to provide utility access for electricity, water, sewer, natural gas, telephone, and eventually cable TV. Over time the use of alleys gave way to become thoroughfares for the disenfranchised or indigent or those who prefer to be unseen. Most significantly the alleys are largely unlit and few homes monitor activity in the alleyways (electricity is seldom run this far away from the house itself), hence, criminals use them for access to properties and as easy entry/departure for their activities. BOB's (Bandits on Bicycles) are particularly pernicious.

AlleyWest.20190315_093349.jpg
AlleyWest.20190314_105833.jpg
AlleyWest.20190314_151932.jpg

In the course of the 4 years since I returned to my family home, I have encountered the following in the alley behind my home:

* Shoplifters. Too many to count. They come from the mall, often running with their 'loot.'

AlleyEntr.20190816_173444_1.jpg
AlleyWest2.20190527_114041.jpg
View attachment AlleyEntr.20210805_155500_1.mp4

* Druggies. Too many to county. One died about 30 feet away from my camera. He hid in some overgrown weeds and expired there.

AlleyDeath30Mar2020.jpg

* Prostitution. Normally I like to see what goes on at the outer reaches of my alley camera's FOV. This was one occasion where I was glad it was grainy. A male prostitute with a disabled guy in a wheelchair.

AlleyWest.20190315_162915.jpg

Homeless. The issues range from petty theft to hygiene (they use the alleys for their toilet needs) to violent physical encounters when they are told to leave.

View attachment AlleyWest.20190302_092600_SmellyGuy.mp4

Since my home sits on a corner lot and that corner (SE corner of my property) is directly across from the main entrance to the mall, the street running North/South gets a fair amount of automobile and foot traffic coming into the neighborhood. This neighborhood has about 300 households in a 1/4 mile radius.

Currently on entry into the neighborhood, if one looks to their left they will see this sign posted at the alley entrance and the small Hikvision camera on top. It is intentionally prominent.

Private Alley 01.jpg
Private Alley 02.jpg

My plan is to mount the new PTZ camera on a post anchored to that same 8 ft fence, similarly to the current Hikvision camera, but substantially higher (about 4 ft higher) and on a round pole.

At the moment I am considering mounting a 16 ft length of 4" sch 40 PVC pipe to the fence, with the new PTZ camera mounted at 15 ft. Additionally there will be a LPR camera mounted just below the PTZ to capture traffic exiting the neighborhood southbound. My concern is to mount the cameras high enough so they will be out of reach of any vandals wielding poles or sticks. I've already had one indigent guy take out a motion light mounted to the telephone pole across the alley with a stick he found. One advantage to the PVC pipe is it's pretty easy to work with. Capped at the top and then cables running from the undergrounnd conduit up through the PVC pipe with exits drilled and then flextube to the cameras, should be weatherproof. You can see the plan layout in the IPVM screenshot:

PTZ Plan.JPG

Cat 6 cable for the existing camera and a new one (2 separate cables) are run in underground conduit to that corner of the property. There is no electricity currently run to that location. The new PTZ camera requires 20w w/IR and the POE+ switch should provide ample power through the cable. If not, I will add a mid-span PFT 1200 to insure it has ample power. I should mention that I will also add a microphone for audio. It can be added to the PTZ or the LPR camera. Considering the demands of the PTZ, it's probably best to plan for the LPR camera to take the additional load of the audio transfer.

In Phoenix we don't suffer with tornadoes or hurricanes, but the windloads from summer monsoons are known to topple trees and rip shingles off roofs with regularity. Hail is a consideration, but it's not like the Denver area (my previous home for many years) where hail is a constant threat to property.

So what do you guys think? Is a PVC pole going to suffice? Any suggestions for alternate site or mounting options?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think your placement looks pretty good all things considered.

I would be concerned about the 4" PVC pipe bending and swaying in the wind at 16 feet. Or hoodlums pushing it or trying to knock it over. I would consider something stronger.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
^+1 I'm not familiar with the 4" pvc pipe you mention but it does sound a bit weak and susceptible to vandalism. I'm not sure how much you want too spend but what about a street lighting column. Apologies for the UK links but see below for ideas

New

Reycled

Or

you can get 4" x 1/4 square box section for less money if your up for some fabrication. Use galvanised for outdoors but you can also paint mild steel. If you want indestructible run cables inside enclosed in flexible conduit and fill with concrete.

Food for thought

Griswald

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe you could stiffen your pole by inserting it into a galvanized pipe at the ground. .. up to about 8-10 feet. maybe get 2" PVC and slide another pipe of some kind over it so it doesnt shake in the breeze. Looks like the Zombie Apocalypse in that alley ffs. Boy thats tough.......maybe get more cameras that are obvious and in expensive and plaster them in plain sight?