Suggestions for tuning motion detection ? video included

Rollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using the default motion detection settings in Blue Iris and it isn't reliably triggering. Before I start blindly changing settings I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions ?

The only change I have made is to set a mask so the road is ignore. Pictured here,

mask.jpg

Theres a short video of some motion which didn't trigger below . If the car isn't there then usually it will trigger, but with the car its hiding half the person so it doesn't seem to be enough showing to trigger,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Please post a screen shot of you motion detection settings. First thing to look at is the object detect/reject box, uncheck it. It will cause you to miss events.

Rollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've just tried unchecking object detect/reject and it didn't trigger again. Here's a picture of the settings and you can also see the size of the person who didn't trigger it,

2.jpg

One additional bit of info - the visible space between the car roof and the start of the mask on the road is only 5 mask blocks tall - I'm not sure how to relate that to the min object size slider. I'm guessing I may need to reduce the size on the slider and maybe tweak the make time ?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you may need to reduce the size...are you able to record any movement at all? if not the make sure the record it set to "when triggered". You may also need to reduce your make time...
Are you recording using the "direct to disk" option?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
since your masking off the road anyone standing behind the car or tall enough from that perspective there in that area then it cant see them... most of there body is hidden by the car and everything from the waist up is in the ignore mask on the two images you have provided.. You would have to change the % threshold for motion here as only a very small portion of your image has movement and its obviously not enough to trigger an event.. but this will also make false alarms from insects and stuff worse... since only say 5% of the image has to change instead of 20%

Does your camera have Alarm IO's? If so I'd suggest you forget about getting reliable video motion detection and get a physical motion sensor to wire up to it... a nice beam sensor (those things that keep garage doors from shutting on people) at the other end of your driveway would give you basically a zero false alarm rate and a 100% detection rate.. cant beat that with video motion processing.. you could wire it up to a lil chime in the house and also get a audible notification someone is walking/driving up your driveway.

This one even comes with a chime: http://www.amazon.com/Seco-Larm-E-931CS22RRCQ-Enforcer-Retro-Reflective-System/dp/B0041WWHYA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1408227450&sr=8-6&keywords=beam+sensor

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.