Suggestions on new cams

kylen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I am one of the people that made the mistake of starting out with some Forscam knockoff cameras. I have two Tenvis JPT3815W cameras. One is on wifi (fairly reliable) the other is on a CAT6 line.
Here is what I am planning on doing for my system setup. I need some input as I do not want to waste money again :)
Current system:
64-bit i7 system with 6GB RAM, on 24/7 running BI which saves motion captures to an external 1TB portable HD. Internet connection is a dedicated fiber optic line to the house on a 50Mb connection. Camera's run to an 8 port Gigabit switch.

Requirements:
Front cam:
Already has a dedicated power outlet and CAT6 line running to the location. I need a PTZ camera that also has audio and IR capability (short range at night only).
I know some people here try and stick away from PTZ cameras but I have motion detectors that could be used as triggers to move the cam. Also I have read that BI4 will eventually have motion tracking, it would be nice to have a camera that could support it when the feature gets released. I was thinking about a Hikvision DS-2CD2332 but I am confused on if this camera actually has a PTZ capability?

Back cam:
Also has a dedicated power outlet and CAT6 line running to the location. I need another PTZ camera with IR capability (audio not necessary on this cam). Again, motion detectors will trigger camera's movement.

I may not throw out the Tenvis cameras as they have been fairly reliable and instead may just re-position them and run them off wifi. I am aware of the blind spot on the right side of the house (might move a tenvis over there to cover it) . Attached is a rough diagram of what I have going on. The stars are the camera locations, the lines coming from them are the fields of view (red is primary, blue is secondary or tertiary).

I appreciate all input. I am looking to keep expenses down to around $100 per camera. But if I find something that I like then I may get that :)

Attachments

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@kylen, hikvision or dahua do not make PTZ that $100 camera sorry, you best bet is to increase the amount of cameras to get better coverage. the 2332 is a great camera and IR on it is pretty decent.

I personally would recommend starting with 4 2332 cameras and see how the coverage is for you to start with and add more cameras as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

kylen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What about PT and no zoom? I thought I saw some hikvision or dahua's between 100-150 with PT and no Z?

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No way you will find a PTZ for $100. For a home, PTZ's are mostly useless. Just get a camera with a wide enough FOV.

2332 is a really good camera but will not give you PTZ functionality.

kylen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had great experiences with my two PTZ cameras so far. I do plan on keeping the pan and tilt functionality at least. Zoom is optional. $150 is acceptable too. For my purposes - PTZ is not useless - it's essential :)

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are talking about a PTZ like a Foscam? I'm thinking of a dome PTZ which are usually in the $400+ range. Why is the PTZ functionality essential? Why not just have multiple cameras?

A lot of people that I deal with want a PTZ mainly because of the cool factor and will play with it for the first few days then set it to one spot. With motion triggering (ex: when someone is at a door) why not have a camera continuously cover the area that the PTZ is moving too. For the price of a decent PTZ you can get 3 good cameras. Just my two cents.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree with above about PTZ. It's of questionable value in a home environment. A camera with a decent field of view and high resolution is likely to serve you better. I would love a nice $800 PTZ camera to zoom in on things far away around my property, but that's only for playing around with.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I also agree, PTZ is a toy in a home environment. There are some inexpensive (under $200) ones with no zoom, like this Dahua 3MP 3.6MM Mini Pan/Tilt Video (ipc-hdb4300f-pt) but it has problems like presets not being reliable and losing its position after rebooting. And even though it is inexpensive for a 3MP pan/tilt, you can still get two Hikvision 2032 bullet or 2332 turret cameras for the price of one of these PT cams.

kylen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Some people on the cam-it forum have been talking about this camera. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Megapixel-1080P-10X-optical-Zoom-IR-IP-ptz-dome-camera-auto-day-night-motion-detection-support/1870863904.html Several have purchased some and a lot are saying really good things about them. Opinions? There is also a 1.3MP version for a little cheaper. I already know some see PTZ as more of a toy but lets leave those opinions out for now and just talk about facts. Even my junk indoor PTZ cameras that are running outdoors are reliable. Aside from a low quality image (what do you expect for 35$), the motion detection and other features do the job that they are supposed to do. After proper setting adjustments I have my cameras watch the appropriate places at the appropriate times making it very convenient for me. I like being able to adjust camera angles to compensate for things like the sun's position, time of day, ect. All of this is automated of course through Blue Iris. So even after my initial excitement is over and I am done playing with the camera, BI will still control positioning, recording, ect for me. Other options for me I guess could be another indoor camera used outdoors, much higher quality than my current ones of course...

Any input is greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That camera seems ok, but you never know about the long term reliability...dont expect any support..some of the earlier versions of the camera had incompatible parts and the image adjustment did not work..those folks were left holding the bag...but as far as cheap ptz go they are a decent deal..(note they do not have poe)

kylen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The rep I spoke with offered me a deal because I mentioned BI and the forum. End price of 200$ plus shipping. That would get me the 2MP PTZ 10x Zoom with audio. As far as the support goes, I am aware that it will be virtually non-existent. But I consider virtually anything I order from China to have non-existent customer service/warranty because it is highly unlikely that I will pay to have anything shipped back to China. POE is not an issue for me either, all of my camera's have a dedicated power outlet. I will be given access to demo the camera later today or tomorrow. I am curious how it actually works. That will be the determining factor for me probably.

kylen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
would really like something that would be compatible and work well with BI motion tracking for whenever it becomes available...Next year maybe....?