Surveillance System with 20 Cameras having Frame Drops

acamposac1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of finalizing a 20 camera build to supervise a manufacturing plant. My issue is that while watching the live feed, there is noticeable frame drop every half second. This happens with the stoplight both red and green, and the frame drops are also in the recordings.

I am currently using BI 4 demo to test everything out before purchasing it. All 20 cameras are configured in BI, with only 7 currently being permanently installed so far. The only way to alleviate the issue is to delete cameras...if I delete all the unused camera feeds the problem goes away. This makes me think that the computer is underpowered, but I am only at 30-40% CPU and 4 gigs of ram used (7 gig in total in task manager). I can also run the feed directly from the camera in a browser along side BI, and that camera feed is flawless (so it can't be bandwidth or cpu related).

Under status, all of the cameras are running/fluctuating around 13 fps (despite being able to do 24; this works if other cameras are deleted).

Things I have tried:
  • disabling motion detection on all cameras
  • lowering fps to 10 (for some reason fps stays at 13)
  • making BI a system process
  • enabling quick sync
  • trying a different, weaker computer (5300u and 8 gigs ram) with same results despite 100% cpu usage
  • looking through random settings and lowering camera quality where possible.
  • setting computer to high performance mode
Desktop computer specs:
  • i7 6700
  • 16g 1600 mhz DDR3 ram
  • 90 gig ssd
  • 2 tb HDD (not being used at the moment)
  • gigabit ethernet card
System info:
  • 2x 3 mp cameras
  • 18x 2 mp cameras (7 of these)
  • netgear 24 port POE switch connected to router
  • Cat 5e/6 cable- solid copper all around. PC states gigabit speeds
I have read from other posts that the demo version seems to be poorly optimized (especially due to the overlays) and I am thinking that buying the full version might solve this issue, what do you guys think? I'm not sure if a can get a refund if it doesn't fix it though...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Direct to disk and hardware acceleration do not work in the demo..what do you mean by frame drop?
You dont adjust the fps in blue iris, you do it in the camera itself..blue iris will auto adjust if the cameras frame rate is higher than what you have set BI to. Everything will likely resolve when you enter the license key.

acamposac1

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have to record anything, the problem happens just when viewing the live feed. No hardware acceleration seems like it could be it...the pc should be more than powerful enough to just show a smooth live feed at least.

By frame drop I mean it runs smoothly, then hangs on a frame for a split second, then goes back to being smooth...this repeats indefinitely. You could also think of it as a stutter, but it misses all of the frames during the hanging period.

Thanks for the info on the fps. I'll try changing it from the cam and see if it makes a difference in BI's performance as well.

Thanks for you help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have to record anything, the problem happens just when viewing the live feed. No hardware acceleration seems like it could be it...the pc should be more than powerful enough to just show a smooth live feed at least.

By frame drop I mean it runs smoothly, then hangs on a frame for a split second, then goes back to being smooth...this repeats indefinitely. You could also think of it as a stutter, but it misses all of the frames during the hanging period.

Thanks for the info on the fps. I'll try changing it from the cam and see if it makes a difference in BI's performance as well.

Thanks for you help!
It is likely related to the demo version. What cameras are you using? match the iframe interval to the fps.

acamposac1

n3wb
Reaction score
Still happens after purchasing. I am going to assume that it has something to do with BI searching for 13 cameras that have no signal (since they're not installed yet).

I will disable the unconnected cameras, and will followup if the problem returns as I install/enable the rest of the 13.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Still happens after purchasing. I am going to assume that it has something to do with BI searching for 13 cameras that have no signal (since they're not installed yet).

I will disable the unconnected cameras, and will followup if the problem returns as I install/enable the rest of the 13.
that might help, also did you actually change the settings to direct to disk? did you turn on hardware acceleration? does the computer even support it? you could be running it on a dual cpu server and still have it suck if there is no hardware acceleration. people make the mistake of thinking bigger is always better, when really it's worse and costs more to run to boot.

acamposac1

n3wb
Reaction score
that might help, also did you actually change the settings to direct to disk? did you turn on hardware acceleration? does the computer even support it? you could be running it on a dual cpu server and still have it suck if there is no hardware acceleration. people make the mistake of thinking bigger is always better, when really it's worse and costs more to run to boot.
Like I said, I don't even have to record for it to happen. And it's a i7 6700 quad core with Intel HD 530 graphics (which has hardware acceleration). I specifically chose the 6700 for the hardware acceleration over a xenon chip. And I did turn it on. I will follow up once everything is in place and running.

giavonnie

n3wb
Reaction score
I am interested in what you find out as I am having a similar problem.

giavonnie

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you running the demo? Post a video of what you are seeing.
No I am running full version it seems to have stopped right now but I will see if I can't get a vid out asap I have tried disabbling multiple cameras to see if a lower bit rate would help but to no availl