Swann analog camera uses?

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I picked up a swann 900tvl bullet camera for a steal of a price and and wondering what I can do with it . I simply plugged the RCA adapter to the BNC connector to my television but don't get an image. I tried on all 3 of my flat panels without luck.

What am I missing?

For $20 I picked it up to play with.

Thank you .

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your missing the DVR, those are not old fashioned analouge that your familiar with.. its not outputting a NTSC compatible signal, its actually digital over old bnc cabling.. without a decoder that camera is worthless.

you only get about 420L of resolution out of analouge NTSC, if you see 900L then its not standard.. those are more often used to upgrade existing systems to HD without pulling new wires, nobody should be installing these fresh IMHO.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suppose your right, I overlooked the model number and saw the nvr model numbers that said 'digital' on em.. so thought they were hdvci, which is digital over bnc

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Makes sense, so what can I do with it? It will power up and light the IRs but I won't be buying a DVR. It was a Lowe's clearance item. I wonder if I can harvest the lense or other internals and make something with it. The brains at element 14 could probably help with that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes sense, so what can I do with it? It will power up and light the IRs but I won't be buying a DVR. It was a Lowe's clearance item. I wonder if I can harvest the lense or other internals and make something with it. The brains at element 14 could probably help with that.

Return it and toss into the trash...spend your time and money on a basic ip camera..