Swann DVR download problem

morden

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone have this problem?

I have a Swann DVR, I download a video clip, it saves it to user\computername\...(i've tried different locations)

It shows download progress and success, but then the folder never appears. Strangely, from the swann web-app, it shows all previously downloaded files and directories as if it's successful.

It's not a hidden file. It's windows 10, and I believe i'm in as admin. It's got to be some weird windows 10 permissions thing but if someone has seen this before maybe i can save some time.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you try to save it to a external drive or usb stick?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not a hidden file. It's windows 10, and I believe i'm in as admin. It's got to be some weird windows 10 permissions thing but if someone has seen this before maybe i can save some time.
It's saving it to the Windows VirtualStore location in a temporary file area (by default hidden to the user) as the browser isn't trusted.
Assuming it's IE11, add the DVR IP address to 'Trusted Sites'.

morden

n3wb
Reaction score
Brilliant, it's fixed. I think the key setting on that trusted page was to de-select require HTTPS as the Swann App is HTTP. thanks!

swanns

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the same problem. I am using Windows 10 also except that I am using the SwannView Link software to download the files and not IE11 (as the solution above suggests). Nevertheless, I have added the DVR IP address to trusted sites in IE11 and to firefox (my default browser) but to no avail. I know it's not my kaspersky firewall either because I cannot download the clips even when it is disabled.

I get the "download succeeded" popup in SwannView Link software when I download a clip. However, no file appears in the folder specified in the settings. Taking a "capture" works though and saves it in the folder specified, but not any video clips, whether using the downloading or recording function.

Any clues?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
SwannView Link software
As an experiment, try 'Run as administrator' on the software and see if the files download where you have selected them to. Presumably you've set it within the user profile folder tree.
If that works - it's a permissions problem where the software is not allowed to write to the selected folder.

swanns

n3wb
Reaction score
I had tried "Run as Administrator" already. Nothing seems to work. My save folder is located on the same directory as the SwannView Link software, drive D, whereas the Windows operating system is located in drive C.

EDIT 1:

As a test, I selected the folder within my windows profile C:\Users\Username\Downloads\Video but it still did not work.

EDIT 2:

BTW, I had tried the software on a computer that is on the same network as the DVR and it did work there. However, I am having problems downloading the clips using the same software on my laptop from a remote location as well as connecting to the same network as the DVR. I can live view the cameras and access the recordings without a problem but cannot download.

The only other difference between the computer and laptop I can think of is that the SwannView Link software was installed on C drive on the computer, whereas I have installed it on the D drive on laptop, but I wouldn't have thought that mattered. I will try installing on C drive and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT 3:

Installing the app to C drive didn't work, even after leaving the save directories to default locations and within the windows user profile as well.

Last edited:

swanns

n3wb
Reaction score