Swann NHD-806 PoE IP Cam Wiring Pin Out (damaged RJ45 camera socket)

winterbrew

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, one of my NHD-806 cams failed recently as the RJ45 connector became inadvertantly immersed in rain water, and several of the metallic connectors in the female RJ45 camera socket failed due to corrosion/cracking. I want to splice on a new female RJ45 socket to the camera to see if it still works.

I'm using PoE supplied by the Swann NVR

From disassembling the old factory RJ45 cam connector, I think the connection schematic for the cam is as follows;

Pin 1 & 2 common - purple wire
Pin 3 - Green wire
Pin 4 & 5 common - grey wire
Pin 6 - white wire with green trace
Pin 7 - orange wire
Pin 8 - white wire with orange trace

i.e. there are only 6 wires for the cam, and it doesn't follow standard colour coding or PoE Type A or B wiring schematics. Pin's 1 & 2 and 4 & 5 are commoned by solder on the RJ45 connector PCB. The ethernet cables supplied with the NVR are Cat 5e.

I have connected as above, but the camera still does not obtain an IP address, or light up the link/act ethernet lights on the NVR ethernet socket, although it does appear to power up the cam, as the night vision LED's come on when dark, and go off when light.

Looking around the forum, these do not seem to be Hikvision clones, and do not follow the Hikvision colour coding schematic posted up in various threads. ONVIF Device Manager software defines the hardware as 'H18C01-A', but this doesn't not bring up anything meaningful in Google. I've lodged an online support request with Swann on 22nd May, but no luck yet.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Many thanks

Jon

winterbrew

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your help - yes, I've already read a few of those, and as for the rest, the colour/wiring schematic is different to the Swann cam, including the Dahua.

I was hoping someone would know who makes this particular cam for Swann to get a bit of a lead.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Search and read through them all again. I believe there are several topics with the color scheme was different then have been specified by Hikvision. As I remember, there is a topic or two where the member solve this issue.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lets review shall we?

1. Submerged Connection Destroyed by environment
2. Disassembled the connector without just cutting it off and doing a continuity test.
3. Crimped a new end on it using the results you managed to get from the connector
4. Gets power but no network.

you have 3 possibilities:
1. You got the color scheme right but your crimp was poor, what gauge are the wires? are they solid or stranded?.. really easy to put a bad end on something like this.
2. You got the color scheme wrong, and there is no good way remaining to determine it.. today they could be using one color scheme, and next week another.. having outsourced China to manufacturer custom wiring harness in bulk before, I can tell you they dont care about the wire colors.. just that it matches the diagram.
3. Its dead jim, poe shorted to a data pin and you toasted the network interface.. check to make sure you didnt nuke your switch port.

my money is on #3

in the future, anyone who has this problem.. dont disassemble the connector.. cut it off, strip all the wires then use a damn multimeter set to continuity to tell you what ethernet pin is what wire.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
10/100mb ethernet uses pins 1,2,3 & 6. Pins 1 & 2 together cannot be correct.

maybe you've just got the numbers reversed?

Mode-A power into a reversed connector looks like Mode-B power.
and since POE powered devices shoudl accept either,
that might explain why you get power but no network.

winterbrew

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys - as you say it could be dead. The network port on the NVR in question does still work with the other cams.

Just to clarify - I got the pin numbering from the coloured wires and the solder pads were numbered in the factory female RJ45 socket which was quite well encapsulated, so was pretty certain of the scheme. I haven't crimped on another connector, as I've just used a wall plate socket connector to duplicate the original camera socket

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Mode-A power into a reversed connector looks like Mode-B power.
this is wrong. dunno what i was thinking...

can you post an image or diagram of the current wiring to your socket?
include a clear indication of the orientation of the cable plug that would go into it for reference.

then again, maybe "it's dead, jim!"

Last edited by a moderator:

winterbrew

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Pozello.

socket_front.jpg

So in the above picture and orientation, pin 1 on both the male connector, and female socket is on the far left of the picture, and pin 8 is far right. Cable is Cat 5e supplied with NVR.

This is the back of the socket. As I mentioned, I got the previous colour vs pin numbers from the original socket, as the solder pads on the small PCB from the socket were numbered.

socket_rear.jpg
Colour / schematic as per my OP

Thanks again

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your trusting those numbers on the solder pads.. you cant have pins 1 & 2 common as he pointed out.. these are not serviceable components, your assuming alot thinking those correlate to RJ45 and not matching numbers on the other side of the wire at the camera.. which is more than likely the case.

you shoulda cut the end off another cable, pluged it into the damaged port after hitting it up with some sandpaper, then stripped the wires on both ends and ran some voltage through each wire at a time to see what color ethernet cable went to what color on the camera.. if one or two of the wires didnt make contact you could have ruled htem out with trial and error petty quickly.

the data you have extracted from taking apart the jack, so far is entirely worthless... it cant be right, at this point I cant think of any good way to figure it out other than to poke around blindly or disassemble the camera and check chip schematics and pcb traces.

winterbrew

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, poking around with a multimeter set for dc volts ;

Pin 7 to Pin 4 & 5 (common) - 48 V
Pin 8 to Pin 4 & 5 (common) - 48 V

So looks like Mode B PoE. Looking at wikipedia Mode B, T568B color schematic, RX+ is on pin 1, and RX- on pin 2, and as you mention, pin 1 & 2 can't be common.

As its only six wires, and it would be obvious that you could common 4 & 5 and 7 & 8 onto one wire each, and then I noticed that the wires I currently had on 7 & 8 matched the T568B colour scheme for RX+ and RX-, it looks like I had 1 & 2 (purple) and 7 & 8 (orange, white/orange) transposed.

Swapped them over, and all working now.

Hence, the correct wiring for this cam is ;

Pin 1 - white wire with orange trace
Pin 2 - orange wire
Pin 3 - Green wire
Pin 7 & 8 - common, purple wire

Pic below ;

correct_wiring.jpg

Thanks for the pointers on pins 1 & 2, and that the solder pad number don't necessarily correspond to the RJ45 pin numbers :)

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
surprised the NVR supplies Mode-B. not unheard-of, but a bit odd.
also surprised that while 1 & 2 match the TIA568b color code, pins 3 & 6 are reversed.

china...

glad you worked it out!

Reaction score
Winter brew, your perserverence really helped me out. My 806 just crapped out (couple pins within the housing disappeared?!?). Cut the wire, followed your example and voila! Really appreciate it!

winterbrew

n3wb
Reaction score
Not a problem - glad you got it sorted.

The sprung pins in the socket are subject to stress corrosion cracking, and/or electrolytic corrosion from the 48V PoE if immersed in water and not sealed

lee2026

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi any one help I have a swann srnhd 810 poe would this be the same as I have a brown and blue wire any help much appreciated

Attachments

cpa2client

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow can not get this to work, came to the conclusion that the camera are broken, 5 out of 6 Swann cameras broken. Great Product.

josetay

n3wb
Reaction score

So looks like Mode B PoE. Looking at wikipedia Mode B, T568B color schematic, RX+ is on pin 1, and RX- on pin 2, and as you mention, pin 1 & 2 can't be common.

As its only six wires, and it would be obvious that you could common 4 & 5 and 7 & 8 onto one wire each, and then I noticed that the wires I currently had on 7 & 8 matched the T568B colour scheme for RX+ and RX-, it looks like I had 1 & 2 (purple) and 7 & 8 (orange, white/orange) transposed.

Pin 2 - orange wire
Pin 3 - Green wire

Pic below ;

View attachment 9183

Thanks for the pointers on pins 1 & 2, and that the solder pad number don't necessarily correspond to the RJ45 pin numbers :)
Excellent, thank you very much. This configuration worked excellent for me.
I managed to get my 4 MP camera back to life. Thanks friend!!!.

lewis

n3wb
Reaction score

Pin 2 - orange wire
Pin 3 - Green wire

Pic below ;

View attachment 9183

Does anyone have the wiring for a Swann nhd-810 ip camera? I have the pins damaged in the keystone jack which I have cut off and lost doc can’t get the exact wiring back? If anyone could help that would be excellent!

Reaction score
All,
Your replies to winterbrew respond with industrial standards for cad 5e. The Swann PoE cameras use a different color combination and no one has replied with that. I had the same issue as the female connection on the camera burnt up and when i cut the wire, only 6 wires are inside. I stripped apart the female connection on the Swann 5mp PoE camera and see the wires soldered to orange/white, orange, green/white, red/white, green and black in that order (see attached pic). I tried that order on a keystone jack and it didn’t work. Maybe I should do it in reverse order? If someone has specific information to what winterbrew and I are actually asking for, it would be appreciated.

P.S. Q tm - I read through all your links and they all lead you to the industrial Standard for cad 5e. The other cameras have different colors as well. We are specifically looking for are the correct Swann guidelines for replacing the female RJ45 on the Swann camera.

Attachments

Reaction score
There are only six wires on the Swann 5MP pro cameras... orange/white, orange, green/white, red/white, green and black in that order (see attached pic). None of your links posted above refer to the answer concerning Swann camera. Your higher than mighty “expert” assertion is not needed here.