Swann NVR8-7300, Audible Alarm Issue

wheezer

n3wb
Reaction score
I just purchased a Swann NVR8-7300 from Samsclub.com and received it timely. I installed it a couple of days ago and have been pleased with the quality of the product. HOWEVER, one feature is important to my wife -- an audible signal when motion is detected on any of the four cameras. I thought all systems did that but after getting mine all hooked up and tweaked, I find that it sends an email to me just fine but has no sound associated with the alert. I called Swann tech support and they said my model doesn't have that feature. I find that difficult to believe so am asking here. Anyone else have that issue with a swann system. Do other brands have that? I know the cheap Lorex system I just took out did have that feature. I note that the user manual for my model DOES say it activates an audible alarm on motion detection.

Please help! My wife now figures me for a sucker. : )

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Without knowing what the web GUI looks like on that NVR - what tick boxes are there on the configurable actions associated with a motion detection or other event?
All the actions will be in the same place, to enable or disable as required.

However - looking at the user manual it's not very clear. For example - do you need a speaker/amp on the NVR audio out connector?
The only mention of audible alarms are in the camera settings:
Action:​
Click the “Set” button to enable an audio warning, to send anemail and to trigger other cameras when motion is detected.• Click the “Default” button to revert back to default settings.• Use the “Copy to” button to apply all settings to the other cameras.• Don’t forget to click “Apply” to save settings.
• Right-click the mouse to exit the Menu.

wheezer

n3wb
Reaction score
Without knowing what the web GUI looks like on that NVR - what tick boxes are there on the configurable actions associated with a motion detection or other event?
All the actions will be in the same place, to enable or disable as required.

However - looking at the user manual it's not very clear. For example - do you need a speaker/amp on the NVR audio out connector?
The only mention of audible alarms are in the camera settings:
There is only a tick box for "Send Email", not one for "Audio" on the GUI directly from the NVR. Oddly, the software for remote access "SwannView Link" does have a tick box for Audio in addition to the one for email. I have, of course, tried that box and it doesn't seem to affect anything. I tried attaching a speaker to the audio out and still got no sound on motion detection. I could try that more earnestly if you think that's where the sound is supposed to come from?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is only a tick box for "Send Email", not one for "Audio" on the GUI directly from the NVR.
The user manual mentioned audio in 'Camera settings'. Are these only available via the NVR?
I could try that more earnestly if you think that's where the sound is supposed to come from?
To be honest I've no idea if that's where the alarm audio would be from. But it is an output, for audio.
But I'd expect the output would be designed for a 'line in' on an amplifier as opposed to powering a speaker.
Do you have a portable radio or CD player etc with an 'Aux' audio input you could connect the NVR to?

wheezer

n3wb
Reaction score
The user manual mentioned audio in 'Camera settings'. Are these only available via the NVR?

To be honest I've no idea if that's where the alarm audio would be from. But it is an output, for audio.
But I'd expect the output would be designed for a 'line in' on an amplifier as opposed to powering a speaker.
Do you have a portable radio or CD player etc with an 'Aux' audio input you could connect the NVR to?
Yes, all settings for cameras as well as the NVR are accessed via the NVR.

I'll try hooking up a aux input on a worksite radio I have. Will follow up tomorrow with you, but I believe I tried that earlier. I have tried so many things I'm not sure I hooked the radio up right so will do it again to be certain. Thanks for your continued help.

wheezer

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sorry to report that I get no joy using the audio out connection on the NVR this morning. After further review, I believe that connection is to get separate audio from the camera microphones to connect to the monitor when using the VGA for video connection. I'm getting both those (audio and video) from the HDMI connection already. So, to my dismay, I fear that the tech from Swann was correct in saying that the NVR 7300 series does not have the capability for an audible alert.

I wonder if you have any ideas as to how I might add on an audible alert? I'm doing a sort of work-around now having a distinctive sound notification when I receive an email on an address to which I send only the messages from the NVR. That works but depends on the email to arrive quickly and sometimes that does not happen. Do you know if it's possible to buy an electronic buzzer of sorts that I could somehow hook up to receive the motion detection signal?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's a pity. Still, it was worth trying.
I'm sorry, but I have no other suggestions other than what I was able to read in the User Manual.
Maybe buy her some chocolates as a sweetener, that always goes down well.

wheezer

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, that's a pity. Still, it was worth trying.
I'm sorry, but I have no other suggestions other than what I was able to read in the User Manual.
Maybe buy her some chocolates as a sweetener, that always goes down well.
Great idea! I'll try the chocolates. :laugh:

Thanks for your help, sir.