Swann system or peice together my own?

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm trying to decided between getting a Swann NVR4-7300 system or buying 4 hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras from some place like wrightwoodsurveillance.com and then buy a Hikvision NVR.

If I go with option two is there a particular NVR I should buy? Wrightwood seems only have 2-3 models and one of them are sold out at the moment.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to decided between getting a Swann NVR4-7300 system or buying 4 hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras from some place like wrightwoodsurveillance.com and then buy a Hikvision NVR.

If I go with option two is there a particular NVR I should buy? Wrightwood seems only have 2-3 models and one of them are sold out at the moment.
I am also looking to upgrade from analogue cameras to ip but i am finding the massive range of equipment and terminology very confusing.

For example from the Swann website:

Swann’s network video recording security system with beyond 1080p high definition live viewing & playback

security cameras capable of generating super high definition 3 megapixels (50% more than 1080p) video

What benefit would you get from a 3 megapixel camera if live view and playback is only displayed at 1080p?
What is the point of having a camera that has 50% more megapixels than what will be displayed?

Sorry if these questions appear a little dumb but i am on a learning curve here.

Many thanks.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
More megapixels means you can digitally zoom in and still see detail on recordings.

If you guys are US then you should look up Nellys or milkisbad, both on this forum.

Most of the questions you are asking have been asked a lot of times. Read the forum and if you are still stuck then ask specific questions and we will be happy to help.
@Eric you won't got too far wrong with DS-2CD2032-I and DS-7604NI-E1/4P NVR (bear in mind the NVR is 4-port, so you can't add more cameras later).

Last edited by a moderator:

luisv

n3wb
Reaction score
The higher MP cameras, should in theory, provide a higher quality captured video and therefore better quality stills during motion detection. You may or may not notice a difference when live viewing to your phone, tablet or computer monitor, but when playing the recorded video or viewing the captured image, the difference should be apparent.

Not my picture, but this might help...

Attachments

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Eric you won't got too far wrong with DS-2CD2032-I and DS-7604NI-E1/4P NVR (bear in mind the NVR is 4-port, so you can't add more cameras later).
Looking at Nelly's website it seems the cost of 4 hikvision camera from him is the same price as the complete Swann system at Sams Club. Not that I'm totally against spending the money but I'd still need a NVR and I'd prefer to go with an 8 channel for in case I want to add more cameras, though 4 will cover my needs. That said, are the Hikvision cameras that more superior to Swann?

I've been doing a lot of reading here and other forums and am familiar with the difference between the megapixel, 1080p, 720p, etc and really want to stick with 3MP or better cameras.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@Eric its also about "What are you trying to accomplish"?

A lot of times a standard out of the box system will get you what you "need" but most likely not what you "want". Most kits are all 2.8, 3, or 4mm lenses. While this works for some locations it might not be ideal for all your location/placements. What is the price point you are trying to hit and what are you trying to cover?

Here is a review I just posted showing different cameras, different MP, and different lens to accomplish an end result that a simple out of the box system would not have been able to provide. http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5681-HIKVision-amp-LTS-3-amp-4mp-Camera-review-example

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Eric its also about "What are you trying to accomplish"?

A lot of times a standard out of the box system will get you what you "need" but most likely not what you "want". Most kits are all 2.8, 3, or 4mm lenses. While this works for some locations it might not be ideal for all your location/placements. What is the price point you are trying to hit and what are you trying to cover?

Here is a review I just posted showing different cameras, different MP, and different lens to accomplish an end result that a simple out of the box system would not have been able to provide. http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5681-HIKVision-amp-LTS-3-amp-4mp-Camera-review-example
Good point and thanks for the link. My main goal it to cover my front yard facing the street. We're not to far from a busy road and tend to have cars stop close to the house be it for a flat tire or broken down. Just a few weeks ago we actually had a stolen car ditched in front of the house. 3-4 years ago we were also broken into.

We now have a home alarm and my wife is now a stay at home mom so I'd just like to have that little extra insurance. Two cameras should cover what I'm looking for in the front. The other two would be pointed at the back yard just for additional coverage.

Given your points I'm thinking a the best bet would be to order the NVR 8 channel from Nelly and the camera's from wrightwoodsurveillance being they are $50 cheaper per camera.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Good point and thanks for the link. My main goal it to cover my front yard facing the street. We're not to far from a busy road and tend to have cars stop close to the house be it for a flat tire or broken down. Just a few weeks ago we actually had a stolen car ditched in front of the house. 3-4 years ago we were also broken into.

We now have a home alarm and my wife is now a stay at home mom so I'd just like to have that little extra insurance. Two cameras should cover what I'm looking for in the front. The other two would be pointed at the back yard just for additional coverage.

Given your points I'm thinking a the best bet would be to order the NVR 8 channel from Nelly and the camera's from wrightwoodsurveillance being they are $50 cheaper per camera.
@Eric - I would reach out and PM @milkisbad You seem serious and ready to put something together. The information/packet he will provide you can help you accomplish the project and provide you savings and the same hardware/specs. He gets bogged down a lot here, so give him a little time to respond, especially going into the weekend, but it will be worth the time investment and research. Just let him know your interested in the product catalog/pricing as you want to custom build a system. I would recommend the 708-p8 NVR and build your camera base from that point.

Best of luck and remember we're all here to help

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1 milkisbad and +1 DS-7608NI-E2/8P and +1 to zero-degrees (otherwise I'd have had to type all that out!)

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Eric - I would reach out and PM @milkisbad You seem serious and ready to put something together. The information/packet he will provide you can help you accomplish the project and provide you savings and the same hardware/specs. He gets bogged down a lot here, so give him a little time to respond, especially going into the weekend, but it will be worth the time investment and research. Just let him know your interested in the product catalog/pricing as you want to custom build a system. I would recommend the 708-p8 NVR and build your camera base from that point.

Best of luck and remember we're all here to help
Oh he's a user here, I did a google search for milkisbad hikvision but wouldn't find a web front. haha. I'll send him a PM now. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll let you guys know how things go.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am also looking to upgrade from analogue cameras to ip but i am finding the massive range of equipment and terminology very confusing.

For example from the Swann website:

Swann’s network video recording security system with beyond 1080p high definition live viewing & playback

security cameras capable of generating super high definition 3 megapixels (50% more than 1080p) video

What benefit would you get from a 3 megapixel camera if live view and playback is only displayed at 1080p?
What is the point of having a camera that has 50% more megapixels than what will be displayed?

Sorry if these questions appear a little dumb but i am on a learning curve here.

Many thanks.
3mp hikvisions cameras do not provide greater clarity than the 2mp...the extra reasolution mostly provides more vertical field of view...
In fact, many of us run the cameras at 1080p because we dont need the vertical fov, and you get a bit more horizontal fov in 1080p mode. A native 1080p camera will in general have better low light and night performance than a 3mp..finally, I prefer the hikvision turret over the bullet design...

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I prefer the hikvision turret over the bullet design...
It was my understanding that turret's have more IR reflection issues than the bullets due to the glass/plastic dome over them?!

Reactions: RBW

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It was my understanding that turret's have more IR reflection issues than the bullets due to the glass/plastic dome over them?!
The turret is not the same as the dome. The turret best avoids reflection as the lens and IR are separate..this also helps reduce spider web issues. The turret is also more vandal resistant than the bullet.

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The turret is not the same as the dome. The turret best avoids reflection as the lens and IR are separate..this also helps reduce spider web issues. The turret is also more vandal resistant than the bullet.
Thanks for the clarification as I thought they were one of the same. Why does the turrets compare to bullets in size and night shots as the turret here seems to have a smaller IR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The IR is actually slightly better on the turret...it uses a different method than tiny leds...
If you want good nightvision, look for a native 2mp turret...see the threads on this subject....the 4mp WD version also has improved nightvision but the 2mp will be better.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More megapixels means you can digitally zoom in and still see detail on recordings.
But where are these extra megapixels appearing from? if the nvr is live viewing at 1080p (1920x1080) why when i zoom in extra pixels appear making the image (2048x1536) 3 Megapixels!

Very confusing. In my mind i would need a monitor and nvr capable of displaying 2048x1536 3 Megapixels for the 3 Megapixel camera to be of any benefit. :rolleyes:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But where are these extra megapixels appearing from? if the nvr is live viewing at 1080p (1920x1080) why when i zoom in extra pixels appear making the image (2048x1536) 3 Megapixels!

Very confusing. In my mind i would need a monitor and nvr capable of displaying 2048x1536 3 Megapixels for the 3 Megapixel camera to be of any benefit. :rolleyes:
On the hikvsion you dont get any extra pixel per inch with the 3mp...the extra resolution is used for more vertical field of view.
What del boy is saying is that with higher resolution cameras say a 4mp, when you zoom in you now get a clearer image because there are more pixels per inch. You dont need a high res monitor. The reason is simple. When you zoom in you are now viewing only a portion of the complete image which in total has less than 1080x1920 pixels...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Imagine your bog-standard digital camera or phone camera.

Your digital camera is 12MP, but the screen you view the images on is only 0.5MP.

However, if you were to view the image on your computer then you would have 2MP. If you zoom in you can split it into 6x 2MP seperate images. Each with the same level of detail as the zoomed out image.

Does this make sense? Just because your device can't show the full 12MP (0.5MP on your camera) doesn't mean they are not there, just you can't see them unless you zoom in.

Why is this useful? You have a face you want to recognise in your 4MP picture. You only have a 1MP monitor. You can't see it clearly. If you had a 1MP camera, you can't improve that. But with your 4MP camera, you can zoom in as each 1/4 of an image is 1MP. You zoom in to the quarter where the face is and you can now see it clearly.

That's generally why more MP is better but don't be fooled by more MP is always better. Some lower MP cameras have less noise and better image + better night-vision. I have 1MP, 2MP, 3MP and 4MP. For me 2MP is the sweet-spot and I use 4MP for the porch as it has a wide-angle lens (2.8mm).

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok i think i get this now. Maybe i was over thinking it.

Del Boy i am also from the UK, could you please suggested a good supplier for cctv equipment. There are loads to choose from online and my main concern is returning faulty equipment. Who would you suggest please? I am interested in ip cameras probably Hikvision.

* pls do not suggest peckham market :D

Eric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like I've missed the boat yesterday...

going on Vacation! I will not be reading or replying PMs or this thread, thank you!
Anyone by chance have one of his price lists they can share? I'm wondering if the deals are good enough to wait the day(s) or week(s) until he returns or just go ahead and buy the NVR and camera's else where.

Thanks!