Swarm of insects or fine mist

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not really sure what this is. I think its a fine mist due to the fog we have tonight. Although I have seen this before without fog. Either way. May cameras are in a constant state of trigger. I use motion without object detection because I also use AI tool with deepstack. But wanted to know if there was a way to reduce the triggering. Another question. I use AI tool to send api calls to fire the alert and I record 24/7. The API call uses the flagalert=1 option. Will that API call also flag the time in the video timeline?

1614485154513.png
1614485188674.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, a misty fog can do that. You could up the time to 1 second and may knock down some of the triggers.

You could also use the object detection feature, but if you have flood lights that come on with motion, you would then reset the trigger and miss it, but that could knock this out if you do not have those lights.

You could create a profile you manually change to when these events happen to stop the triggers.

You could also try edge vector for motion detection.

I take it that your camera does not have AI built into it which is why you are using Deepstack?

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. No I have Amcrest 4k cams running at 1080p and need DeepStack. It works pretty good with a few masks here and there in the Ai Tool. The other Profile is a good option. I could set the Sensitivity less for times like these.

I have not tried edge vector before. Need to read up on that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Edge vector is another algorithm to help knock out false triggers compared to simple. People seem to have problems using it with zone crossings, but if you just have a Zone A for example it may knock these types of events out.

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you sir. I will try it. I will now need to wait for the next mist event. It just stopped. Been working on it for the past hour.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ran into this last summer when there were forest fires in the area. Lots of particulate in the air which happened to collect and swirl around in front of one particular camera.

Increasing the trigger time helped a little, but the thing that worked the best was to disable IR on the camera. Of course, this only works if you have enough other lighting in the area. In my case, there was a second camera mounted in a different area that supplied enough IR for the affected camera to see.

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do need to add some IRs around the house. Need to look for POE IR lights. Really don't want to run power to each spot.

I ran into this last summer when there were forest fires in the area. Lots of particulate in the air which happened to collect and swirl around in front of one particular camera.

Increasing the trigger time helped a little, but the thing that worked the best was to disable IR on the camera. Of course, this only works if you have enough other lighting in the area. In my case, there was a second camera mounted in a different area that supplied enough IR for the affected camera to see.