Swish new 1920x1080 PC resolution a problem

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have bought around 30 Dahua IP cameras over the last three years but now when I log into a camera to refine settings with my new laptop (Windows 10 / Internet Explorer), the video window is too big and masks the control buttons etc.

To get round this problem just now, I have to either reduce the screen resolution or use my old laptop having a screen resolution of 1280x800. Is there a magic fix or is it a limitation of the web-plugin?

By the way, I browsed a thread on Dahua starlights. I have 7 (4 x IPC-HFW8231E-Z and 3 x SD59230U-HNI). They do deliver much sharper images with limited bandwidth/low bit rates and H.265 than the older ones. But isn't this mainly due to improvements in the video encoder software rather than the image sensors. Oh, and turning off the 3D NR at night makes a massive difference.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The better images are a result of better sensors...not compression...

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello fenderman, thanks for making your reply and I certainly respect the fact that you are an expert with much experience. So with the availability of a decent bandwidth and full HD I'm sure you're right.

But I use groups of 4 cameras over slow copper broadband to remote Blue Iris, each camera on D1, 1 fps and around 150kbit/s. Here the difference in image quality with a new starlight camera is much bigger. And, what happens with the oldest cameras on CBR and identical dark scene is the bit rate often collapses to less than 10kbit/s, blurring the image. This doesn't happen if I change one of the cameras to a starlight PTZ, even set to H.264 to compare like-for-like.

One more point, even the new cameras don't seem to benefit from VBR. When I have tested this (at night), the bit rate does not fall with a static scene. I assume this is noise in the image (and I get continuous motion triggering on the camera's SD card only at night with default settings).

Anyway, what about the problem with the screen resolution on my new PC? Is there a decent solution? Surely most people use 1920x1080 screens these days - don't they?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello fenderman, thanks for making your reply and I certainly respect the fact that you are an expert with much experience. So with the availability of a decent bandwidth and full HD I'm sure you're right.

But I use groups of 4 cameras over slow copper broadband to remote Blue Iris, each camera on D1, 1 fps and around 150kbit/s. Here the difference in image quality with a new starlight camera is much bigger. And, what happens with the oldest cameras on CBR and identical dark scene is the bit rate often collapses to less than 10kbit/s, blurring the image. This doesn't happen if I change one of the cameras to a starlight PTZ, even set to H.264 to compare like-for-like.

One more point, even the new cameras don't seem to benefit from VBR. When I have tested this (at night), the bit rate does not fall with a static scene. I assume this is noise in the image (and I get continuous motion triggering on the camera's SD card only at night with default settings).

Anyway, what about the problem with the screen resolution on my new PC? Is there a decent solution? Surely most people use 1920x1080 screens these days - don't they?
No you are incorrect. Remote viewing of blue iris is depended on the webserver bitrate settings...starlight has nothing to do with bandwidth...

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello again fenderman. Really sorry for not making myself more clear. I have been trying to make the point (not well enough) that the video quality is so much better with a poor bandwidth when using the newest generation Dahua cameras (starlights and probably others) that it must be down to better image processing software feeding the camera's webserver.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello again fenderman. Really sorry for not making myself more clear. I have been trying to make the point (not well enough) that the video quality is so much better with a poor bandwidth when using the newest generation Dahua cameras (starlights and probably others) that it must be down to better image processing software feeding the camera's webserver.
bad video is bad video...it will not be affected by bandwidth...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with "starlight" or Exmor-R vs Exmor light gathering but the similar dark greys that are more prevalent in darker video might be deemed less important by the compression algorithm and might basically be thrown out if it's not a difference between differerent firmware versions. I think that's where the issue is rather than an h.264 vs h.265 vs "starlight" thing. h.26x has been swapped and seen similar behaviour. I'd bet a dollar you've found the point where a compromise was made between quality/bandwidth in extreme recompression for remote viewing. I'd also bet that you might gain a bunch of it back if you put them all on the same firmware version. You might not be comparing apples to apples.

I can't help with the 1080p screen problem. Mention it to the developer. Might be a BI incompatibility with your video driver or possibly some virtual screen size issue.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Kawboy12R. Yes, I've been trying to say all along that I start with good video but end up with bad video at the other end of a poor broadband line when using older Dahua cameras having old firmware and I guess, if it was possible to have the current generation firmware running in an older camera, the video quality would be much better.

Back to my main query, here's a picture of what I guess to be a PC screen resolution issue - my drive at home here (nothing to do with BI). I had been hoping that somebody would give me a link to a wbeplugin that works if that's what the problem is.Screenshot 2016-12-20 13.32.55.png

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried compatibility mode in IE? How about deleting the files in the c:/webrec/torch directory to force a reload?

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas:
- Adding the camera website to compatibility view via the tools icon in IE makes no difference.
- Deleting the c:\Program Files\webrec folder and then reinstalling also gives the same result.
Shame!
I still don't know if others using a Windows 10 PC with 1920x1080 screen have the same problem. Or is it just me - I'm not especially IT literate.

By the way, I realise that I said it completely wrong in my previous reply - the video is bad at the end of the line with my older cameras because I have to set a very low bitrate in the camera. So it also "starts out" as bad video (as I think fenderman was pointing out) and only starts out as good video if I set a higher bitrate but then has a frame update of 10 seconds or more.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If anything I would expect the 1080p to work and other resolutions not to. 1080p is more or less the default resolution for everything nowadays. Older stuff? Not so much, but cams at 1080p or higher would be new enough to be programmed with 1080p monitors in mind. Many many people on here are using Dahua cams and plug-ins with Win 10 and don't have your problem.

More ideas though. You're using IE and not Edge, right? Have you tried Firefox? How about Chrome with the NACL app? Think of it like a plugin that runs plugins that Chrome doesn't support anymore. Run it from the app tab in Chrome then plug the cam's IP address into NACL's URL bar and log in that way.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mmmm Yes, I'm using IE started when in Edge and would prefer to find out what I'm doing wrong rather than give up and launch into (for me) even more unknown territory. For the moment I hope somebody who uses IE in Windows 10 posts the solution.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand. Trying Firefox is a dirt simple check though. The Chrome test is a bit more involved.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you just use any other browser; even chrome directly and dont load the plugin everything will be fine, just use IE to View the changes.. there is also SmartPSS which I prefer to use for day to day management.

for me I use Safari and it works fine; but I only fire up Safari when I absolutely have too.

00Buck

Known around here
Reaction score
I am using Windows 10 with a Asus 24" led monitor @ 1920 x 1080p and it works fine with the Dahua HWF4431R-Z cameras. IE, Chrome, Firefox Dahua2.JPG Dahua1.JPG

00Buck

Known around here
Reaction score
You might be able to adjust in the video card settings, mine is Nvidia and I have used these settings to get a second display to size correctly.
Display.JPG

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello guys
Good news - success! - All works fine with Firefox. Many thanks for your help.
Don't get video with Chrome and don't know how to get the video.
Looking more closely at the display settings as suggested by 00Buck, I see that 125% zoom is recommended for my PC. Having selected 125% zoom in Edge and then IE to get the video, the camera's control screen scaling is right (ie the same as in Firefox) but the webplugin's video is also again scaled up to mask the control settings as it did when set to 100%
So, I would still like to discover the fix with IE (and Chrome) but at least for now I have a way to work with Firefox.
SmartPSS only gives access to a subset of the camera video setup conditions for my cameras.
Thanks again

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this explains an issue I saw someone having with an AmCrest camera; I just assumed in rebranding they screwed up there web theme, but that was apparently incorrect.. windows is the problem heh, should of known better.