Switch Recommendations

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I am still planning and researching but getting closer to pulling the trigger for my IPCAM setup.
In the attached Pic I have my Existing network and plan to add all the cameras and the 2 switches( at least 1 Managed I think )
So, what Switches do you all suggest ? I figure 8-port for Garage, and 16-Port for the House. Thoughts
IPCAM-Layout.png

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Personally I'd go with managed switches. You could probably pick up 2 HP Procurve 2620 switches for around $80 used. Since these are a layer 3 switch, you could implement inter-vlan routing with your home network, the BI pc and your cameras all on separate vlans. The reason I recommend this switch is for the cost to value ratio I.e. you get a lot of bang for the buck.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit my knowledge is limited here so I depend on my sons. When I set up my network I just said send me what I need. I ended up with a Ubiquiti system. It's current configuration is:
1579041567847.png

The firewall is fed from my Cox router. The 2 8 port basement switches are for future (not too distant) expansion.

The Ubiquiti system is managed and the Unifi software provides a ton of info (including this map). It has worked out very well for me - I even learned a bunch!

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Do your cams still have internet access? Can’t really tell by those pics. If not, you’ll want to block any outbound coming from the cams themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do your cams still have internet access? Can’t really tell by those pics. If not, you’ll want to block any outbound coming from the cams themselves.

I started to say no, but. . . I am going to have to check with my IT team - 1-800-call-the-kids

Great point will follow up with them right away. One of them set it up so I assume everything is blocked - never assume :(

There is no outside access set up to view the cameras intentionally.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So would I have to have a L2 Managed switch to give/change each of my new installed IPCams an IP address ?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most new cameras dahua (192.168.1.108) and Hikvision (192.168.0.64) have static IP address, you will need to log into the camera to change the address to match your subnet. Or use the approprate tools.

You are overthinking this problem. Your network is very simple and straight forward.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I started to say no, but. . . I am going to have to check with my IT team - 1-800-call-the-kids

Great point will follow up with them right away. One of them set it up so I assume everything is blocked - never assume :(

There is no outside access set up to view the cameras intentionally.
I

I am happy to say now that my cameras are unable to 'phone home'. There are a couple of ways I found to deny internet access to any client on the system

Thanks for making me check :)

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
No problem. Question, how are you handling NTP time for the cameras?

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I guess I am over thinking this things..I have been told a L2 unmanaged Switch will be good for my setup above...

So, I will move on the the actual Switch......Purchase again a lot to choose from.

This is on my list
BV-Tech 18 Ports PoE/PoE+ Switch

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Does it really matter which internet site you sync to?
Yes but in this case, we are talking about denying internet access to cameras but at the same time making sure to provide a local NTP server if you want time to be accurate across all your cameras.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
BV Tech switches use what is, IMHO, a substandard power supply. It's a switching supply and will not start under load, even as low as 25% of rated capacity. Stick with something use uses an old fashioned transformer based power supply. Far more robust and durable.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BV Tech switches use what is, IMHO, a substandard power supply. It's a switching supply and will not start under load, even as low as 25% of rated capacity. Stick with something use uses an old fashioned transformer based power supply. Far more robust and durable.
Suggestions ??

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes but in this case, we are talking about denying internet access to cameras but at the same time making sure to provide a local NTP server if you want time to be accurate across all your cameras.

Then I'm not understanding. . . I am overlaying the time stamp from BI - that gets it from the PC. I'm not looking at any data the camera is providing

1579470875497.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Using the overlay in BI raises CPU utilization. It's a better solution to use a local NTP server and use the cameras time stamp.