Synology NAS, Shared folder and afraid to push Format button on Hikvision camera

Reaction score
Hello.

I created the Shared folder on Synology NAS. Created user for folder access. Added NAS to Hikvision camera. Connectivity test is OK.

Now the drive is there, bit not usable since it must be formatted.
I am "effing" afraid to push that Format button since I do not want for camera to format or mess up my other content/folders/partitions on the Synology.

NAS.PNG

What will happen If I press Format?

BR.
Matt

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am "effing" afraid to push that Format button since I do not want for camera to format or mess up my other content/folders/partitions on the Synology.
The 'format' operation is not the same as the 'format' we associate with what's done on an HDD. Which can hide existing data away.
It will not affect any areas other than the empty folder in the share you have created and connected the camera to.

The term 'format' is a bit of a misnomer - in reality all it consists of is dropping in a bunch of template files to hold the indexes and the associated videos.

Reaction score
The 'format' operation is not the same as the 'format' we associate with what's done on an HDD. Which can hide existing data away.
It will not affect any areas other than the empty folder in the share you have created and connected the camera to.

The term 'format' is a bit of a misnomer - in reality all it consists of is dropping in a bunch of template files to hold the indexes and the associated videos.
Thank you for your reply. The "Format" label is really poorly used here. I "formatted" it and it does as you say. It creates these files on the drive:
hikii.PNG
So nothing to worry about :)

Br MAtt

Last edited: