System design help

Deepblue

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all. I am researching IP hardware for a new system installation. I am technology literate but do not have direct experience with security cameras, determining lenses types, field of view, etc. and finding the best software to manage all of this. For ease of use I am looking for an all IP, NVS set up. I can handle offsite backups remotely. I believe I can get away with an eight channel system but would like opinions here. I had cat5 installed to all outside corners of the home at about 8ft from ground level and under the patio of the front door. I've attached a 3D rendering of the home and the lot. Pics are attached. The lot is 100ft. x 100ft. It is on a canal with a dock and boat in the backyard. The boat is approx. 25ft from the back wall of the home. At times I would like to zoom up and down the canal to view activity there but most of time dock cameras would be fixed on the boat.

It seems to me the absolute best way to monitor the back of the home (there are seven doors) would be with a camera out in the yard looking in but I'm not sure anyone does that and if they do, how do you do it inconspicuously?

I'd truly appreciate advice on where you would place the cameras, what types of cameras where and what NVS system you would recommend. I have a decent budget for this so Id like to find the best solution without over buying or buying the wrong devices for the purpose intended. Thank you reviewing.

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Deepblue

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply. A couple questions. Are the turrets salt air friendly? This is near the ocean and a harsh environment. Would you put the turret at the front door as well as the corners? Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the'll be fine in salty air as long as you take care not to damage the finish on install (dont drop em, touchup any scratches); they do offer stainless steel marine models for a premium but those are more for pier/ship mounted cameras likely to take direct exposure to salt water.. Inspect them from time to time and repaint them if you notice any rust forming but more than likely the'll look fine 5-6 years from now when you go to upgrade them to the latest tech again.

the'll work great all around, front or back.. the varifocal lens lets you dial the FOV right in for best results for each location, takes all the guesswork out of picking the right lens (2.8mm/3.6mm/6mm/8mm/12mm) as you get everything between 2.8mm and 12mm on demand.

Deepblue

n3wb
Reaction score
Nayr, what do you think about putting the cams in the rear of the home up under the patio?

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont try so many wide angles, your going to want to zoom.. there is no reason to watch your grass grow and struggle to get ID when you can watch an approach/walkway and ID everyone..

thats why i suggest noobies buy the varifocals, the'll instinctivly put em at wide angle.. then someone will steal something and they will be too far to get an ID, then you can zoom in and actually make it useful..

Camera Calculator / Design Software try to keep PPF > 100 at any Choke Points.. nearly all my cameras outside run 6mm or better.