system recommendations for monitoring remote machinery

mattk

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for camera systems that would be installed in factories to be used for diagnosing issues remotely. Main use would be to have an operator call us and give us a timestamp of an issue they had (sometimes would be accurate, other times might be within a 5 or 10 minute window if we're lucky), then we'd log in and grab footage and machinery logs to see what went wrong. We've got some complicated systems that are hard to debug without video which is hard to obtain currently if the problem isn't really reproducible, so I've suggested we install cameras. Our customers have been receptive to this (as long as we ensure secure access, etc and is at our expense)

Some would allow us to configure VPN access to the network segment containing the NVR, others would be only via remoting in (via their remote access system) to an on-site computer (that we supply already and can configure) that could then access an isolated network containing the NVR. It would either always be behind a VPN router+firewall, or on a dedicated network attached only to a PC with locked down access through another VPN system, so no cloud based access or internet connectivity will be allowed from the cameras or NVR itself.

Probably an 8ch system would suit all but the largest sites where 16ch would be enough.

I'm wondering what would be recommended hardware platform/brands for this type of use. Not looking for super high quality and expensive systems, but more just being able to see "what went wrong" using a few cameras aimed at specific areas with suitable FOV.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The gang will probably tell you we need a lot more info; what are you trying to see? A factory floor or reading gauges from across a room? What kind of illumination scenarios?

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What I'd personally recommend in your case:

NVR4108-8P-4KS2 with a 1TB WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk
IPC-HDW2431T-AS (times the amount you need)

Would set you back about $200 for the NVR + HDD and $80 for each cam.

Or if you only need a few days of footage with just one or two cams per site: a HDW2431T-AS with a 128GB SD card and a separate POE injector or switch, about $120 for each cam and can record about 3-4 days of footage, depending on your settings.

mattk

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, fair question. Illumination is pretty good - well lit factories, and trying to look at large areas typically, but with some of the cameras focussed on specific areas - e.g. a 4x6m area that is a particularly difficult system to debug without footage. Trying to see movement of timber sticks (typically 2x4 of various lengths) and if they catch on something along any of the feed systems, or if we are struggling to pick a stick up if there’s a reason for it (misalignment, etc). Not really looking at monitoring the specific machine processes, but more the material movement between machines. Doesn’t need really high detail, but I’m thinking I’d probably go for say 5MP or 8MP cameras with suitable FOV chosen for each area. Possibly a 360 deg camera over long conveyor sections.

I’m looking more for recommendations in which NVR and family of cameras to look at initially, then I can start looking at which cameras would suit the specific areas I want it to monitor. But I can see it using a range of narrow and wide FoV cameras, possibly some very wide FOV.

oh, and im happy to have it only record during specific times of day, or possibly just when the machinery is powered up - is it ok for these to be powered off each night by a main switch cutting its power feed? Not using it for security, so don’t need recording of unused machines, but don’t want to risk corrupting or damaging the system either.

I think 3 days retention would be the absolute bare minimum. A week would be ideal I think.