System Usage and Lagging Live View

Gdfein

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear IPCT,

Please be gentle as I’m a total noob. I have a new BI system and I’m running 8 x 4MP IPC cams from Empire. My BI server is a new bargain PC I got thru Costco on a recent deal. 16GB Ram i7 10700 with a 400GB SSD and a 1TB WD HDD. Within 5min of a fresh reboot my iPhone App shows the stats below.
I also find that when I live view on my phone and or iPad the live feed lags 15-30seconds to as much as 20min.

I’ve done only basic camera setup using the add Camera wizard and ip search and I haven’t gotten to any custom settings. I know my basic settings are recording at 30fps 24/7.

Please help me get more from my system as I can’t believe this level of lag is normal and i must have something configured wrong.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dear IPCT,

Please be gentle as I’m a total noob. I have a new BI system and I’m running 8 x 4MP IPC cams from Empire. My BI server is a new bargain PC I got thru Costco on a recent deal. 16GB Ram i7 10700 with a 400GB SSD and a 1TB WD HDD. Within 5min of a fresh reboot my iPhone App shows the stats below.
I also find that when I live view on my phone and or iPad the live feed lags 15-30seconds to as much as 20min.

I’ve done only basic camera setup using the add Camera wizard and ip search and I haven’t gotten to any custom settings. I know my basic settings are recording at 30fps 24/7.

Please help me get more from my system as I can’t believe this level of lag is normal and i must have something configured wrong.
You have something setup very wrong. See optimizing BI in the wiki.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do EVERY optimization in this wiki.

A member here is running 50 cameras with an i7 4790 and was at 100% CPU and was looking for recommendations for a new machine or VMS. After strong persuasion by many of us, he reluctantly agreed to do every optimization and is now at 30% CPU. Direct-to-disc and substreams are a must....Your computer is way better than this and way less cameras...

Also, make sure your BI computer and cameras are on the same switch. Do not have them go through the router.

If you do not know what a setting does, do not change it as it probably is doing the opposite of what you think.

Gdfein

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will give it a go.

6 cameras are off of my primary Unifi L2 switch in my central network closet.

2 other cameras located in a detached structure are one step “downstream” on secondary Unifi 8port switch.

The BI server PC is in my home office on another downstream line on the Unifi 8port switch in my office.

So having all cameras and the server on same switch is not possible as I’m using existing network of the home and not running dedicated cables for CCTV.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So having all cameras and the server on same switch is not possible as I’m using existing network of the home and not running dedicated cables for CCTV.
Understood...just insure no camera goes to the BI server via your router.

In addition to the above, insure Windows, the BI program and the BI "db" folder are on the SSD, video clips go to the HDD (surveillance-rated preferred, like a WD Purple).

P.S .- Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

Last edited:

Gdfein

n3wb
Reaction score
Made the first few changes tonight. Already had Direct to Disc on but was using full 30fps and adjusted to 20fps for each camera for both main and substreams.

I also had to select Intel+VPP as that was on “No”. I suspect that was the biggest resource drain.

Seeing immediate CPU % decrease and tomorrow in daylight I’ll see if my lag has resolved.

Attachments