T-Mobile 5G Home Internet AND Blue Iris

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If I had the opportunity to have true high speed WIRED internet at the time, I definitely would have gone with it. Now that I've had T-Mobile wireless for what... 15 months... with it's speed (for me, here) and reliability (for me, here)... the wired internet would have to give me a darned competitive price. I always add the YMMV caveats because it varies with location.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I had the opportunity to have true high speed WIRED internet at the time, I definitely would have gone with it. Now that I've had T-Mobile wireless for what... 15 months... with it's speed (for me, here) and reliability (for me, here)... the wired internet would have to give me a darned competitive price. I always add the YMMV caveats because it varies with location.
I love this new competition. The 5g is just going to keep improving and the cable providers will have to beg for our business like the pigs they are.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Haven't updated in a while, so... My connection has been rock solid, absolutely no complaints. Download speeds have been consistent in the mid 800Mbps range. Upload speeds have been slowly creeping up. A few months back, I would have said that up speeds were steady 80-90Mbps. It's been slowly creeping up to the point that I'll say they're now steady above 100Mbps and get into the mid 120Mbps range. That said, with any of the wireless internet offerings, it's location location location... so YMMV...

Screenshot 2023-03-14 074648.jpg

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hah! Just got an email offer from Verizon for their home internet. They say that their product is better because you'll get 200Mbps down (with their cheapest tier package) verses T-Mobile's 100Mbps down and only have to pay $15 more than TMHI for that package. That's pretty much false advertising in the fact that since we got 5G in this area (December of 21), I can't remember getting less than 600Mbps down and am normally in the mid 800Mbps range. :p

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
T-Mobile just came out with a new modem where you can connect external antennas to it, see Nater Nater video below. I may try it out in the future again, as Spectrum increased their internet another $5 to $85 (can get a $5 deduction if you sign up for auto pay).

Earlier this year, I checked cellmapper.net first and there are 2-3 tower (4g and 5g) about 4-5 miles away, so I decided to give it ago, even though I live in a "gully" where the hill elevation is higher than my house (where the towers are). Unfortunately, I couldn't get a decent signal, even from my roof. Maybe a directional external antenna will make a difference.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
T-Mobile just came out with a new modem where you can connect external antennas to it, see Nater Nater video below. I may try it out in the future again, as Spectrum increased their internet another $5 to $85 (can get a $5 deduction if you sign up for auto pay).

Earlier this year, I checked cellmapper.net first and there are 2-3 tower (4g and 5g) about 4-5 miles away, so I decided to give it ago, even though I live in a "gully" where the hill elevation is higher than my house (where the towers are). Unfortunately, I couldn't get a decent signal, even from my roof. Maybe a directional external antenna will make a difference.

Yeah....I've been trying to get one of those because my home is between two T-Mobile towers and neither are close so the signal strength on the gateway is only three bars and sometimes two. Every time I cal T-Mobile support they play dumb and claim no knowledge of any new gateways being available. I'm going to keep after them until they give me the updated version so I can add an external antenna.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted in this thread, but it's still going strong. Random check from a few minutes ago.

View attachment 177238
You're killing me with those speeds...! :(:( My T-Mobile speeds aren't nearly that fast, but since T-Mobile won't give existing customers the new gateway that supports an external antenna I'll have to buy my own. :banghead:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Have you had many outages?
You're just looking to make me jinx myself, right? :p

About a year ago, T-Mobil updated the firmware on the modem. I woke up that morning to crappy speeds, and after a quick check online, I rebooted the modem and got my speeds back. In the almost two years that I've had this, that's the only "outage" that I can remember. OTOH, on the TMHI forum, others there have posted on crappy experiences, so for sure YMMV...

rmalbers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just ran into this thread: Do you hit BI remote (and your cameras) when your BI is behind the tmobile 5G modem? I thought there was/is an issue with these acting more like 'hotspots' where your IP address changes all the time, is that not true?

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great thread!!! I've been using T-Mobile home internet since it first came out with the little white LTE gateway. My setup has really morphed over time. I abandoned the stock gateways because they lack features and control. I get a 500 down and 70 up at my location and it's been rock solid except for when they were upgrading the tower I connect to.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great thread!!! I've been using T-Mobile home internet since it first came out with the little white LTE gateway. My setup has really morphed over time. I abandoned the stock gateways because they lack features and control. I get a 500 down and 70 up at my location and it's been rock solid except for when they were upgrading the tower I connect to.
Please elaborate on what equipment you are now using.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great thread!!! I've been using T-Mobile home internet since it first came out with the little white LTE gateway. My setup has really morphed over time. I abandoned the stock gateways because they lack features and control.
Please elaborate on what equipment you are now using.
The white router is the Glinet Spitz GL-X3000. You can adjust TTL, IMEI etc. It also does 2X 5G bands carrier aggregation, either NSA or SA. You can tower lock as well as band lock. The router has way too many features to list here so I'll leave a link.

I have the Spitz connected to a Waveform 4X4 mimo antenna. I have the wifi disabled on the Spitz because I use a TP Link Omada setup for wifi.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great thread!!! I've been using T-Mobile home internet since it first came out with the little white LTE gateway. My setup has really morphed over time. I abandoned the stock gateways because they lack features and control.

The white router is the Glinet Spitz GL-X3000. You can adjust TTL, IMEI etc. It also does 2X 5G bands carrier aggregation, either NSA or SA. You can tower lock as well as band lock. The router has way too many features to list here so I'll leave a link.

I have the Spitz connected to a Waveform 4X4 mimo antenna. I have the wifi disabled on the Spitz because I use a TP Link Omada setup for wifi.
Supposedly the tech support for that company is email only which can take up to 48 hours to get a response and even then they offer little help. One person said it fried his SIM card. That would be a deal breaker for me. :eek:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Supposedly the tech support for that company is email only which can take up to 48 hours to get a response and even then they offer little help. One person said it fried his SIM card. That would be a deal breaker for me. :eek:

They have a support forum as well which is very active. Yeah I read about that guy that claims his SIM got fried......whatever. I have tried so many different alternative routers/gateways. This Spitz is the closest thing to set it and forget it that I have ever used. I'm not trying to sell anyone on it.........someone asked so I gave out the info. Use what works for you.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They have a support forum as well which is very active. Yeah I read about that guy that claims his SIM got fried......whatever. I have tried so many different alternative routers/gateways. This Spitz is the closest thing to set it and forget it that I have ever used. I'm not trying to sell anyone on it.........someone asked so I gave out the info. Use what works for you.
Nah....we're good. I've been wanting to dump my T-Mobile gateway which is why your setup caught my attention. Nader Tater recommends the Cheetah 5G gateway so I'm looking at that one as well.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nader Tater recommends the Cheetah 5G gateway so I'm looking at that one as well.
Yep, owned the Cheetah for awhile but sold it. Also had the same guys Ninja, and had issues so I returned it. Alfredo is a good guy though and does have some good products.

I've also tried a few different Suncomm units.

Attachments