Tablet Choice

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking for a couple 8-10 inch tablets for remote of my cameras on my network, $150.00 and under.

I’ve read much on the site about different tablets especially the Fire HD. The Fire HD has a great price point but appears to have many problems. I’m looking for something simple to use like my IPad but without the cost. Is there a consensus on which would work the best without any complications? Also I would be using WiFi to view. So WiFi capable, 8-10 inch, cheap, simple use, and durable.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are using an app developed by the camera manufacturer, you need to make sure the app was written to work with the tablet OS you intend to purchase.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks GCoco but I’ll looking for a tablet that works with BI software not the individual cameras. I have several different cameras and want it to work just like my IPad does with BI, BI mobile app.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest keeping an eye out for android tablets during this year's Black Friday sales. There should be plenty in the price range you want, and as long as they support the Play store then one is likely as good as the next.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I should also warn that I've had fairly terrible luck with low-cost (< $150) Windows tablets. I've gone through two of them in the last few years and am living with reliability issues on the cruddy third. I have no reason to believe Android tablets are any better when they all come from Chinese brands you've never heard of who can't support their product outside of China.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great bp2008

So I can buy any android tablet and install Kens app from the google play store and it will work as simply as the one I have from the Apple store? None of the problems I keep reading about here with other devices?

Hopefully I’ll be able to get a good low cost one what works. My only concern is having it work and not having issues like members with Fire HD’s and other devices.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It "should" work. I mean, there's always the chance some tablet will have a terrible processor that can't handle video streaming, but since that has to be the #1 thing anybody does with a tablet, I think it is unlikely.

It is only natural to find lots of people having issues if the place you're looking is a troubleshooting forum.

Stick to well-established brands. Amazon tablets are likely to be some of the best value, but will require hacks to get google play and the Blue Iris app onto them.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
UI3 works fine on my Fire HD 8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased an old Nexus 10 on EBAY. I use it as a standalone display for UI3. It is plugged in most of the time so I do not care about the battery.

I have changed a nexus 10 battery, it is not that hard to do, a battery cost about $30 .

I also like the nexus 10 because it connects on the 5GHZ wifi, faster, less traffic, less interference.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Giomania are you saying that if I purchase a Fire HD 8 I can get an app, install it and have all my cameras showing on the Fire with not other modifications? Which app should that be? That would be a great simple cost effective solution.

SouthernYankee thanks for the info. I’m surprised there isn’t a popular tablet everyone uses for this purpose.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Giomania are you saying that if I purchase a Fire HD 8 I can get an app, install it and have all my cameras showing on the Fire with not other modifications? Which app should that be? That would be a great simple cost effective solution.
If you are using Blue Iris, the UI3 works just fine on the silk browser on the fire HD 8.

Before I had Blue Iris I was using tiny cam monitor Pro (free for me on the Amazon App Store) and that application worked fine on the fire HD 8.

You should check if the Tiny Cam Monitor Pro app is free for you if you’re not using Blue Iris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Giomania

I do have Blue Iris and two mobile apps one on an iPhone and one on an iPad. Everything works great on all devices. I have never used UI3. I was looking for cheap tablet and the Fire HD price point is just what I was looking for. I was just Leary of them because of all the problems I’ve read about them here.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Tyyees If you have a recent release of Blue Iris, UI3 is included. When on your home wifi, just launch a browser tab with http://<YOUR BLUE IRIS LOCAL IP ADDRESS>:<port>

<port> is configured in Blue Iris console, default value is 81

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Actran my BI computer does not have WiFi access, hard wired, only my Apple products do. Using the local IP on the iPad does not work. Is your method only meant to work on certain operating systems?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tyyees

Your BI computer, is it connected to a network that is connect to a router or access point. Most routers have WIFI.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes it is connected to a WiFi router. My network is Ethernet only according to my settings. My printer is WiFi set up only and I can’t print from my BI machine either so I just assume it wasn’t Wifi ready, only Ethernet which I don’t have connected to the printer.

I tried accessing UI3 in explorer on my BI computer and that did not work either. Also tried in Safari, IPad, that also didn’t work.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Something is set up incorrect.

It is all one network.
Are you using an anti virus on the BI PC ? If so which one ?
What is the IP address of the router ?
What is the IP address of the bi computer ?
What is the IP address of the printer ?

Do you have the web browser enable in BI.

To access BI web browser use the BI IP address plus port. my access is
http://192.168.1.234:8081/UI3.htm

C1.JPG

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Southern Yankee

Got it working. I did not have use new UI3 preview for non-IE browsers enabled. Never knew what it was has I had no need for it until now. I have been using the mobile app from Ken to view from my house. This will be much easier. Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Southern Yankee

Got it working. I did not have use new UI3 preview for non-IE browsers enabled. Never knew what it was has I had no need for it until now. I have been using the mobile app from Ken to view from my house. This will be much easier. Thanks
I have two, 3-4 year old Fire 7's, they run the BI app just fine. It is realtivly easy to install Google play store on a Fire Tablet.
Amazon has a good return policy, easy enough to buy one and try it out.
Best buy has many on sale right now.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/samsung-and-amazon-deals-on-select-tablets?sp=+currentprice skuidsaas