Talk to me like I'm your grandmother

BlueHeron

n3wb
Reaction score
Which, considering that I have a 21 year old granddaughter, some of you could actually be. The one advantage is that I do know my fair share of networking and routing issues but the rest of it? New.

Here's exactly what I need: I want two outdoor cameras so that I can see who is at my front door (no window, no peephole) and see who comes up my driveway. If they're at the right angles, I don't need them to tilt and pan. I would prefer an audio connection. Must be able to connect with my phone or PC.

A few things are important: Camera needs to see someone is there from a distance -- 25-30 feet. Outdoor mounted. Fixed is probably fine, don't need to tilt and pan. Need a good to control it.

Also was recommended Blue Iris for software - I want local recording, mobile connectivity.

If this has been asked before, point me to the resources.

Thanks!

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My go too for ease of install on quality, the second one is Dahua with mic built in which I may try. I would go for 2.8 mm lens at the door and for the distance second camera a 4mm or even a 6mm if you want to see the faces at night better. During day any of them would be great.
The third link is same supplier as the Hik cameras if you opt for a simple two camera dvr install I don't know this vnr but should work and be simple for you to power the cameras and view but, you might need others to chime in on that I just added it as it is cheap. I would run the camera cables to where you sit most TV room or ? I will point out that cameras are pretty fun and you will probably add more in the future to watch all around house or wild life etc. so you may consider a better NVR for more cameras (8). On the topic of Blue Iris I have my computers on 24/7 since 1997 (not same PC) and no issues ever ( I just forget to turn BI on at night some times which I need to make it turn on auto-matic at some point)

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/9742-Smokin-Deal-on-Hikvision-DS-2cd2335-i-3MP-Mar-29th-for-69-97-from-a-trusted-vendor

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Dahua-4MP-Camera-Mic-built-in-IPC-HDW4421C-A-IR-Full-HD-IP-POE-Dome/619411_32625474899.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Multi-language-CCTV-4CH-POE-NVR-DS-7104N-SN-P-for-POE-IP-Camera-with-4/319147_32646977350.html

Last edited by a moderator:

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With Blue Iris (which I do use) you will need to leave your computer on 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. Are you willing to do that? Or were you going to buy a computer just for the security system so you do not have to put your main computer through the stress of that?
If you not willing to go the computer route then you need a NVR system which is not Blue Iris but has its own software. I don't use an NVR but I have read that they are easier to set up and then just leave it to do its thing. But, if you are just going to do a 2 camera system and never expand and you just want to see who is at your door and who is 25-30 feet away then you may be interested in going that route.

As for a camera do you have power right where you intend to put them? If not are you comfortable running power to where you are going to put them? If not, then you will want cameras that have POE (power over ethernet). It is a lot easier and safer to run Cat5e or Cat6 cable to a camera. That also has it advantage because you just run the one cable to the camera and it supplies both the power for the camera AND the data connection.

As far as camera recommendations at this time I can't recommend one because I don't have one that I am happy with. I have 5 Reolinks. Great daytime images and motion, but LOUSY night time performance. I am waiting on a new camera to arrive. But I am sure that the more experianced people on the board can help you. Good luck.