Tamperproofing IMC Conduit for Camera Install

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I've decided to go with1/2" IMC conduit instead of EMT for one of my camera installs. When pushing the IMC conduit through the foundation through the exterior of the building, I'm try to see how I can use tamproof (screws, screwless, etc) the elbow so that the network cables aren't exposed (as a result of the cover being removed). Any suggestions?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've decided to go with1/2" IMC conduit instead of EMT for one of my camera installs. When pushing the IMC conduit through the foundation through the exterior of the building, I'm try to see how I can tamproof (screws, screwless, etc) the elbow so that the network cables aren't exposed. Any suggestions?
Yep. a sketch would help. Until then my imagination is running wild: I'm envisioning you coming through a concrete or cement-block foundation with RSC or IMC into a LB conduit body (as in the image below) to get the 90 degree turn you need and still keeping the conduit flush to the side of the building for its vertical or horizontal run. The door to the LB would have its furnished screws replaced with a tamperproof fastener as found ==> here <== . You could even use these special-headed bolts to secure the IMC to building with single-hole conduit straps. I would avoid the Torx with pin because you can buy bits to fit those at any Home Depot or Harbor Freight. I recall 30 years ago that was not the case when I sought to secure the pedestrian pushbutton signs ('Push button, wait for walk signal') on traffic signal poles and the tool to fit the Torx with pin was sold only by the manufacturer of the fastener.

I know this may be the farthest from YOUR plan so give us a sketch.
lb-75cg.jpg

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I like the idea of the conduit body. I plan to change out the fasteners and look for an LB which is threaded on both ends. Will also be using aluminum / IMC instead of EMT. :)

do you have any pics or a sketch of what you are doing?
Yep. a sketch would help. Until then my imagination is running wild: I'm envisioning you coming through a concrete or cement-block foundation with RSC or IMC into a LB conduit body (as in the image below) to get the 90 degree turn you need and still keeping the conduit flush to the side of the building for its vertical or horizontal run. The door to the LB would have its furnished screws replaced with a tamperproof fastener as found ==> here <== . You could even use these special-headed bolts to secure the IMC to building with single-hole conduit straps. I would avoid the Torx with pin because you can buy bits to fit those at any Home Depot or Harbor Freight. I recall 30 years ago that was not the case when I sought to secure the pedestrian pushbutton signs ('Push button, wait for walk signal') on traffic signal poles and the tool to fit the Torx with pin was sold only by the manufacturer of the fastener.

I know this may be the farthest from YOUR plan so give us a sketch.
View attachment 22066

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And as you'll discover, 'LB' means 'eLbow with a Bottom hole'. Below are images of LL (Left hole), LR (guess!) and T's.
BTW, why the aluminum vs. zinc electroplate or galvanized?

Type-LL.jpg Type-LR.jpg Type-T.jpg

Type-T-also.jpg

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, the conduit comes out horizontally from the foundation and attaches to the following coupler (picture attached), followed by another piece of aluminum conduit which goes up vertically towards the junction box (all threaded in). Attached is the diagram (which you requested) to which I'm installing three turrets (one facing an alleyway, the other facing the street near a garage, and the other overlooking a backyard). All three ethernet wires enter a junction box (J) and split out from there.

And as you'll discover, 'LB' means 'eLbow with a Bottom hole'. Below are images of LL (Left hole), RL (guess!) and T's.
BTW, why the aluminum vs. zinc electroplate or galvanized?

View attachment 22088 View attachment 22089 View attachment 22090

View attachment 22091

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I forgot about that little 90, used a few of those so long ago I completely forgot about them until you posted the image of it (hey cut me some slack, I'm pushing 69 years). :banghead:

What's the diameter of the base on those turret cams?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using a PFA139 mount. It has 1/2"-inch knockouts :)
Dimension of the turret is Φ106mm×93.7mm (4.17”×3.69”)
Camera denoted in diagram as C1, C2, C3

Hey, I forgot about that little 90, used a few of those so long ago I completely forgot about them until you posted the image of it (hey cut me some slack, I'm pushing 69 years). :banghead:

What's the diameter of the base on those turret cams?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if they make aluminum 90 degree elbows. Otherwise, I'll need to resort to rigid 90 degree. If my calculation holds true, I'll need to potentially use a coupler or two for joining two pieces of aluminum conduit, won't be using the full 10 ft length (will be broken up into sections). Hopefully, these couplers provide a nice water-tight seal. Might need to definitely use a conduit body in which the conduit goes around the back behind the gutter.

:D