Technically challenged wants to get in over his head

Reaction score
Been reading this forum for a while and it has changed my direction. I'm ready to financially pull the plug but you guys have taken me a different direction. Started out looking at Wal-Mart Costco etc. When to Dahua and hikvision with a NVR. Now I want to go dedicated pc with BI. Problem is I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff...a lot of stuff actually.

Question 1. Is there a thread that actually goes over all the computer specs to give me a primer on what to do and look for and why? So far I'm leaning towards a Dell 7040. I habe no idea why, it just comes up a lot.

Question 2. Is there someone who would load BI go into bios (whatever that is) and make changes etc, or even sell me a reburbed computer with it already installed. It's not that I wouldn't put the effort in, it's just that I shouldnt!

Question 3. Am I a candidate for an NVR?

I would definitely take the time to learn the BI system it's just way over my head and I can screw up a wet dream if you give me the time.
If it matters I'm a farm boy and the neighborhood has definitely gone downhill. Meth heads etc. I had a Muncie 4 speed stolen which takes my car from a numbers matching to a search for a certain build date.
I feel I will want 10 cameras eventually 4k, maybe some starlights blah blah blah. I appreciate everyone's time and opinions. I'm an open book

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome.
If you haven't yet, study everything in the Wiki at the top of the page, especially the Cliff Notes.
BI is no more or no less difficult than a NVR.
Don't chase the megapixel hype, 2mp starlights are best bet after it gets dark.
Come back with your questions after you've studied the wiki. ;)