Teletubbies Lunchbox Remediation Project

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Faced with the overwhelming burden of the public shaming and humiliation heaped upon me by the ipCamTalk community (refer to the "A bridge not too far - Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5" topic) I embarked on the long overdue overhaul of the Teletubbies Lunchbox installation, in large part to mend my damaged self-esteem. smiley36.gif

I started by choosing an Altelix NF141206P weatherproof enclosure as it was the largest box I could find which didn't break my budget. I custom drilled holes for Hilitchi cable glands using eleven (11) PG9 glands for the cat5e cable which entered the box, along with a single PG13.5 gland for the Tripp Lite Isobar power cord.

The Altelix box came with an aluminum mounting plate in the bottom of the box which I swapped out for a 1/4" PVC board I had laying around, to which I attached the PoE switch and Isobar power strip. I choose a BV-Tech switch because of its capacity (8 PoE+ ports + 2 uplink ports), but also because it was a good fit inside the Altelix enclosure as it utilizes a built-in power supply instead of a large power brick (which I felt would consume too much interior space).

All-in-all I was pleased with the results of this project especially since I no longer have to hang my head in shame when I frequent ipcamtalk. The only downside of this remediation project is that I'll have to surrender my Teletubbies Fan Club membership. smiley28.gif

Below are some pictures of the completed project along with my project parts list...

tt01.JPG
tt02.JPG
tt03.JPG
tt04.JPG
tt05.JPG

Or maybe not!

tt06.JPG

Project parts list...
  1. Altelix NF141206P 14x12x6 NEMA 4x FRP Fiberglass Weatherproof Enclosure with Aluminum Equipment Mounting Plate, Hinged Lid & Stainless Steel Latches
  2. BV-Tech 10 Gigabit Ports PoE/PoE+ Switch (8 PoE+ Ports | 2 Uplink Port 130W 802.3at
  3. Tripp Lite Isobar 4-Oulet Strip ISOBAR4ULTRA
  4. Hilitchi 30 Piece Nylon Plastic Waterproof Adjustable 3.5-13mm Cable Glands Joints Cable Gland - PG7, PG9, PG11, PG13.5, PG16
  5. Hosa PWC-141.5R Power Cord IEC C13 - NEMA 5-15P RA 1.5 Feet
  6. Shireen DC-1042 - Outdoor CAT5e 24AWG Cable (Aluminum foil casing, static drain wire, dry gel tape, ground wire, and rip-cord)
  7. Shireen DC-1020 - Outdoor CAT5e 24AWG Cable (Gel filled, direct burial, and double jacketed)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lookin' good Q™ !

I have these fastener clips on hand anyway for securing CAT cable in/outdoors, but when needed, I also screw one in parallel to the cable then run a black zip tie through it to anchor coils, 2 side-by-side apart a few inches for UBNT POE supplies, etc. ...saves lots of wire ties (in series) around studs, etc. They can be driven in with Phillips bit or 1/4" socket on your drill-driver.

Steren_200-963BK.jpg

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you concerned with the POE switch may get too hot in that air tight enclosure ? I know mine does produce some heat but the case is vented....just curious ? That sure is nice looking case though !

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how the power go through PG13.5 gland?
  1. Opened and disassembled the Tripp Lite Isobar and disconnected the Tripp Lite power cord from inside the Isobar unit
  2. Threaded the Tripp Lite power cord through the PG13.5 gland
  3. Reconnected the Tripp Lite power cord to the inside of the Isobar unit and reassembled the Isobar

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again to @TonyR! These fasteners make for a neat job. And low-and-behold the 6-in-1 screw driver I carry in my crimp kit has the correct size nut+driver for these fasteners. A+++ IMO. Thumbsmiley20.gif

tt01.jpg

tt02.jpg

Last edited: