testing out a cheap doorbell cam...

ExTechjunkie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After many frustrations with my AD110, which only works with Alexa show & firestick in the hours following a restart, but otherwise works OK... I tried a $49 2k wired doorbell cam from Amazon which promised to check all the boxes. There are three such doorbell cams there currently. By all accounts, they're the same device. Mine is the GEREE. Initial impression... it's going back.

Pros:
2304*1296 @25 fps H.264 at 1200Kb/S main stream (640x360@25fps H.264 substream)
Onvif with working RTSP streams. was able to connect it to my NVR both with Onvif and by custom RTSP stream*
Doorbell ring push notifications to mobile app work every time so far
powered by existing wiring and comes with transformer for testing or hardwiring
CloudEdge app provides all the same remote features as for example Amcrest Smart Home
Alexa skill to see and hear the audio/video stream (Google too, apparently - I haven't tried)
No cloud subscription required
Supposedly differentiates Humans from other motion when feature is enabled (I have yet to test it installed outdoors, so I'm currently the only motion)
Includes 32 GB micro SD card
Includes electronic chime
Includes wedge mount kit

Cons:
*ONVIF feature does not provide motion detection triggers so NVR recording is limited to general. Not a problem for Blue Iris native MD though, I imagine.
Alexa skill does not provide two-way intercom. It's view & listen only.
ODM found an admin account other than "admin". Potential back door? (I haven't tried changing the password for that from fear of breaking it)
Does not work with mechanical chime
Alexa integration does not include Doorbell Press Announce (so only notifications are phone app and electronic chime kit)

Unless there's a compatible firmware that would provide MD via ONVIF, I don't plan on keeping it. That's kind of a deal breaker for me. If I were using Blue Iris instead of an NVR which relies on the cameras for MD events, I might keep it.

That's all for now. WIll provide more details, pics and screen shots if anyone's interested.

GEREE doorbell cam device details redacted.jpg

GEREE doorbell unboxed.jpg

ExTechjunkie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just read this...

While the devices tested don't appear to be the same as the one I tested, the similarities are enough (mearitek / CloudEdge) to make me feel uncomfortable continuing to use it. I've changed all the passwords, then wiped the device and deactivated my account. It was a fun few hours while it lasted, but it's definitely going back.