Testing placement this weekend and have some questions

Mahumadi

n3wb
Reaction score
Before I have a company run the cat6 I am planning some placement tests this weekend with a friend.

I will be using the forum favorite 2x4 in a 5 gallon bucket of rocks.
My camera setup is going to be Dahua 2231 everywhere around my house
I am using a Dahua 5216 NVR 16 channel

Here is my plan, please critique:

DAY TIME TESTING

1. I will start by testing for the correct height (5-8') for identification of possible intruders w/ friend being the intruder​
  2. I will then ensure I have max coverage of my property (determining the number of cameras needed)​
  3. When I am satisfied with placement of each camera location, I will mark it with painters tape​
NIGHT TIME TESTING
  1. I will place the camera at each location previously OK'ed during day time testing and leave it there over night​
  2. I will act as the intruder and walk all over the fov of the camera​
  3. I will review the footage the next day and ensure I make the proper adjustments​
  4. I will then move the camera to the next location and do this until all locations are tested​
Is there anything I am missing? What else should I do during this testing? Should I be messing with any NVR settings, or can I get that figured out AFTER I do the above testing?

I want to streamline this and have it completed in about two weeks time so I can get the cameras placed. Please advise, thank you!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan, on the night time stuff, dont wait until the next morning to review footage. You can review immediately. Nighttime is where youre going to spend the most time and make the most adjustments to get the best image.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind also that the one thing you can't test for is weather. The cameras (an BI) react differently in rainy weather versus sunny weather, wind blowing the trees on a sunny day making huge light changes. What I'm getting at is no matter how well you dial it in now, expect to continue to tweak along the way.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Before I have a company run the cat6 I am planning some placement tests this weekend with a friend.

I will be using the forum favorite 2x4 in a 5 gallon bucket of rocks.
My camera setup is going to be Dahua 2231 everywhere around my house
I am using a Dahua 5216 NVR 16 channel

Here is my plan, please critique:

DAY TIME TESTING

1. I will start by testing for the correct height (5-8') for identification of possible intruders w/ friend being the intruder​
  2. I will then ensure I have max coverage of my property (determining the number of cameras needed)​
  3. When I am satisfied with placement of each camera location, I will mark it with painters tape​
NIGHT TIME TESTING
  1. I will place the camera at each location previously OK'ed during day time testing and leave it there over night​
  2. I will act as the intruder and walk all over the fov of the camera​
  3. I will review the footage the next day and ensure I make the proper adjustments​
  4. I will then move the camera to the next location and do this until all locations are tested​
Is there anything I am missing? What else should I do during this testing? Should I be messing with any NVR settings, or can I get that figured out AFTER I do the above testing?

I want to streamline this and have it completed in about two weeks time so I can get the cameras placed. Please advise, thank you!
Hi @Mahumadi

I would test the following:
A) During the morning
B) During afternoon
C) During night

The idea is that AM and PM sun / shadows will travel and affect the cameras.
At times during the day glare from the sun affects some of my cameras - however due to the angles of my cameras being different the glare typically only really impacts at most one camera at a time, the others doing well. So having 2 cameras at different angles to the sun covering my most critical areas ensures at least camera gets a good image.

Also when acting as a suspect test:
1) Standing still
2) Walking normally
3) Jog / quick walking
4) "Run"

Remember with the 1080P at the 19.2 foot width of the FOV is about where you will have 100 ppf pixel density - so use that when determining ID distance and coverage.