TFTP updates firmware but doesn't reset password!!!

enricol

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a HiLook IPC-T240H which I forgot the password of.
As usual I tried to flash the firmware via TFTP but to my surprise the firmware did update but the camera didn't reset.
I can see the firmware version on SADP. The camera started at V5.5.80_180911. I tried:
Everytime the camera would restart and after a while it would pop up on SADP with the new firmware version but old IP address.
If I connect to it with a web browser I'm prompted with the login screen instead of the first setup screen, meaning no reset has been done!
Note that I had to use scottlamb TFTP because hikvision's would hang at "resend is required".
Do you have any suggestions? Is it because it's HiLook and not Hikvision?

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I presume reset happens when you upgrade with firmware that holds new configuration table which isn't compatible with previous one. it can either mean upgrading to few firmwares above or bellow.

But be aware, downgrading might brick the camera, and you would have to reflash again.

enricol

n3wb
Reaction score
I presume reset happens when you upgrade with firmware that holds new configuration table which isn't compatible with previous one. it can either mean upgrading to few firmwares above or bellow.

But be aware, downgrading might brick the camera, and you would have to reflash again.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's the case. A few days ago I flashed some hikvision cameras (not HiLook) using the same exact firmware that was already on (even the same build). All the cameras reset to inactive state.

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It was just presuming. I am a programmer hence i look for logical reasons why.

If something worked with model 1 with Chip x, firmware x, doesn't needs to be same case on model 2 chip y, firmware y

I did few factory restore that way and it worked when i didn't have other option. It was while back in time now so i cant judge nowdays cameras. Nowdays i just use reset server which was provided to me from hikvision as i work for a national distributer

enricol

n3wb
Reaction score
It was just presuming. I am a programmer hence i look for logical reasons why.

If something worked with model 1 with Chip x, firmware x, doesn't needs to be same case on model 2 chip y, firmware y

I did few factory restore that way and it worked when i didn't have other option. It was while back in time now so i cant judge nowdays cameras. Nowdays i just use reset server which was provided to me from hikvision as i work for a national distributer
Yeah I get that. I'm also new to this, I haven't experimented with many different models. Would you be able to send me the recovery code?

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unfortunatelly cant do it outside authorized installers we work with. There is log of resets that might be checked, wont risk it

enricol

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunatelly cant do it outside authorized installers we work with. There is log of resets that might be checked, wont risk it
Ok I totally get it. No worries! Hopefully somebody that struggled with this as well stumbles upon this post and can point me in the right direction. Don't wanna throw the camera away just because I forgot the password. That's absurd!

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You may contact Hikvision for password recovery, they tend to answer end users sometimes. If you are persistent they might do it.

enricol

n3wb
Reaction score
You may contact Hikvision for password recovery, they tend to answer end users sometimes. If you are persistent they might do it.
Last time I tried they asked for my company details so that they could send a quote to do the job. First I'm not a company and second I was scared to know how much they'd charge me for a password reset. I get it that no one should work for free but I suspect they were gonna charge me a lot. But I might try again just for the sake of it. This is how it seems to work in Italy. Hopefully it's not this bad everywhere.

enricol

n3wb
Reaction score
Keep trying, its not one guy behind that email. You will get lucky
Tried again today and they were pretty quick to respond. They're asking €61 ($68) for a password reset. I may as well buy it new! This is so frustrating!

Last edited: