The great move…

Reaction score
We started our move from Reno, NV to Port St Lucie, FL yesterday. We got a late start because, well, just because. At noon we started out with two cats in their carriers.

By 9pm we were in Kingman, AZ. This morning, we were on the road by 6am and made it to Amarillo, TX.

We’ll see how it goes tomorrow. So far the cats have been really great and they do not like change or travel.

Reaction score
Drive safe. We moved from Lorton VA on June 30, 2013 to San Antonio TX. It took us 4 days, 3 nights. Ridiculous amount of time. Daughters were 1 and 5, they were great. The wife...total pita. But we made it. I drove the HUGE Ryder truck, pulling a trailer with my wife's car on it, and she followed in my 02 Trooper. Quite the trip.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That I-40 is a bitch, especially at night when you can't see the truck tire carcasses unless you creep along. In '02 when I drove my daughter to AL from No. CA in her '96 Mustang I hit a H-U-G-E one. It sounded really bad and I was so afraid I had knocked the cat converter off or damaged the gas tank....but luckily all was OK. That night we made it to the next motel in Tucumcari, NM before dark.

It's such a corridor for commerce (at least it was 20 years ago) there were 18-wheelers all around us, going EB and WB, even trains running parallel at 60MPH pulling a mile-long length of rail cars, 3 GE Diesel-Electrics in series doing their job....love that characteristic sound ! :)

Have a safe trip, @JNDATHP !

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
We started our move from Reno, NV to Port St Lucie, FL yesterday. We got a late start because, well, just because. At noon we started out with two cats in their carriers.

By 9pm we were in Kingman, AZ. This morning, we were on the road by 6am and made it to Amarillo, TX.

We’ll see how it goes tomorrow. So far the cats have been really great and they do not like change or travel.
Have a safe trip sir. Are you going to drop down to Dallas? If so, try I20 over to Shreveport, I49 down to Lafayette and I10/12 over to Floriduh.
We'll leave the light on for ya ;)

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
That I-40 is a bitch, especially at night when you can't see the truck tire carcasses unless you creep along. In '02 when I drove my daughter to AL from No. CA in her '96 Mustang I hit a H-U-G-E one. It sounded really bad and I was so afraid I had knocked the cat converter off or damaged the gas tank....but luckily all was OK. That night we made it to the next motel in Tucumcari, NM before dark.

It's such a corridor for commerce (at least it was 20 years ago) there were 18-wheelers all around us, going EB and WB, even trains running parallel at 60MPH pulling a mile-long length of rail cars, 3 GE Diesel-Electrics in series doing their job....love that characteristic sound ! :)

Have a safe trip, @JNDATHP !
I love trains. Grew up near train tracks and later drove the subway/metro and streetcars/trams for 16 years.

The early diesel locomotives are my favourites.

View attachment EMD_FT.webp

Reaction score
Yup, lots of road alligators (tire carcasses).

We made it to Jackson, MS through severe thunderstorms with near zero visibility at times. Took a toll on Kat. Yes, I have three cats. Two four legged and one two legged, my wife.

I think we will only try to get to Tallahassee tomorrow and not push another 12 hour day. Then just 5 hours from there to PSL.

Reaction score
Quite a change of scenery from Reno, NV to Port St Lucie, FL. What inspired you? Welcome to the Free State of Florida!
We traveled full time for 7 years in our 5th wheel and spent our winters in south Florida. We bought a home but had to return to Reno for my wife’s parents who needed care.

We have friends and family from central Georgia to Miami.

Reaction score
Pulled all the network cables today - 14 for 11 cameras, one WAN and two APs. Started at 6am to mitigate the heat in the attic.

I would have like to have a few lower but the previous owner chopped holes in the concrete for Lorex analog bundle cameras.

The office is coming along and will terminate all cables tomorrow. Pictures to come soon.