the new secret weapon : FI9928P

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
for early orders Foscam gives 50USD discount
Foscam FI9928P 1080P PTZ doom camera with 4X Optical Zoom Dual-motor Lens, Full color image in near darkness,Artful 4+2 grouping of infrared lamps for clearer night vision - 2.0 Megapixel 1080PD - Dome Camera - IP Camera

lets hope its WIFI will be good enough, specs are pretty interesting

I wonder when it hits the shops in the UK
wifi for a security camera? please...foscam cannot be trusted and is garbage...369 for 4x zoom?...avoid this like the plague.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
mate, i have been using foscam PTZ wifi for 3 years, WPA is impossible to crack if not based on dictionary word. Well, ppl can jam the WIFI band but usually robbers are not investing their time on it

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
mate, i have been using foscam PTZ wifi for 3 years, WPA is impossible to crack if not based on dictionary word. Well, ppl can jam the WIFI band but usually robbers are not investing their time on it
its not about cracking its about reliability...
foscam is complete and utter garbage and should never be used period.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
understood, i would never buy their indoor cams, those are toys for the 5 year old, but my PTZ is doing fine. But OK, i got your point, next time I will buy the PTZ from another vendor. Possibly Dahua

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
for early orders Foscam gives 50USD discount lets hope its WIFI will be good enough, specs are pretty interesting I wonder when it hits the shops in the UK
Focal is 2.8-12mm with F1.6 but is it still F1.6 at 12mm ? no info

"Sony High Definition Color CMOS Sensor" but which one ? no info

No info about shutter speed IR mode (to know how much "ghost" and "wash" effects there will be on moving objects)

Let's wait for early buyers to show some real videos, may be the price is because of higher quality ?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WPA is impossible to crack if not based on dictionary word. Well, ppl can jam the WIFI band but usually robbers are not investing their time on it
No it's possible to crack: How anyone can get your WiFi password There are also WPS cracks that are easy to pull off in seconds (on vulnerable devices). All you need to jam wifi is a smartphone.

Wifi is stupid for cameras, you still need power do you really want to plug in to an outside outlet so anybody can just unplug your camera?

That camera is an overpriced dung heap. Try one of these: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Last edited:

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well said, lets wait for the youtubers for this cam test :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree - it's not 'very easy' - but just so readers don't get the wrong idea -
No you can't sniff a plain-text WPA or WPA2 WiFi password - but you can sniff an encrypted version of the password.
Provided you are not using words that would be vulnerable to a dictionary attack (and you don't need to use a simple password when you only need to reference it once when adding the AP), brute-forcing a WPA or especially a WPA2 encrypted stream would take an impractically long time, even with today's very large dictionaries and hardware acceleration.

For reliability reasons, though, using WiFi to connect IP camera video streams adds quite a few connectivity issues to the setup and is ideally best avoided.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can still knock your foscam PTZ off the network with a simple deauth attack; no need to crack it if I'm attacking the network layer.. Jamming WiFi is easier than cracking it and fool proof.

$500 will get you a 25x Starlight Black Face Dahua PTZ, if it needs a wireless link you build a point to point bridge and at least make the attack surface as small as possible.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree - it's not 'very easy'
You're right 'very easy' is a little bit of a stretch i cleaned up the wording on a few things in my earlier post, but it isn't that hard. Is a thief going to do it, no they'd choose hoodie/hat/pantyhose unless you have some serious $ (but then you wouldn't consider a cam like this). More likely the bored teenagers who live next door. Older crypto is a lot easier to literally crack. The evil twin ap method relies on tricking devices / users into providing the login to the "evil twin" it isn't a matter of cracking the password per se.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The evil twin ap method relies on tricking devices / users into providing the login to the "evil twin" it isn't a matter of cracking the password per se.
"evil twin" still doesn't get you plaintext authentication via MITM - it just gets you all the traffic and in theory allows you to mess with it.
The authentication is still encrypted - no easier to crack or brute force.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most evil twin attacks use a captive portal page to trick users into entering wifi password in plain text; then it connects to your wifi with that password and bridges em.. Its largely social engineering but most people will fall for it every time from what ive seen.

I use x509 certs so my access points must present a cert I signed for it to begin auth, it'll throw all sorts of security warnings if an evil twin appears.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
most evil twin attacks use a captive portal page to trick users into entering wifi password in plain text;
Agreed - but that's not the password cracking method I was commenting on, as you say, it's social engineering.
It was the implication that sniffing normal traffic could expose a plaintext password.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am actually a Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), know many ways too, but really the possibility for such attack depends on which part of the world you live. Every second city kid in USA maybe a hobby hacker but down in the farmlands it possibly not the case. In my case, its a farmland with large distances and for the Cam network I must use WIFI from quality vendors like Ubnt. Yes, these still can be kicked out. When it is kicked out, alarm goes to the manned security company. WIFI is still excellent for rural, RF noiseless dry southern environments.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well said, lets wait for the youtubers for this cam test :)
Just to let you know that someone from Europe (Hungary) uploaded this video recording of the foscam model No. FI9928P
FI9928P day : The day light colour representation is wondefully crisp and sharp. But the night recording is not the great.
FI9928P night :

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wifi is the worst for cameras due to reliability. As for security, wired cameras are just as vulnerable as anyone can just cut the cable sticking out the back or take a bat to the camera if they're placed too low.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Connecting camera with Wifi connection in general, in in terms of reliability is not recommended if the vicinity of your neighhours have 2.4GHz Access Points.

Because there is a high chance you will get co-channel interference. Unless the camera can support 5GHz range wifi connection.

But as more and more people are using 5GHz range it will also get congestion.

The other downside of using 5HGz is the distance is shorter than 2.4HHz.
So in other words, better stick with WIRED connection, if you want 100% video streaming connection.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have been using foscam WIFI PTZ for 3 years, well if the distance is about 5 meters its stable, if the distance is about 12 meters the link sometimes breaks. As for the data, in about 6 days 85GB of data is transferred from my PTZ over WIFI. I would say it is still totally usable in case IF it is not a big deal for the operator to powercyle it sometimes when it loses connection. Lets say once or twice a month.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just to let you know that someone from Europe (Hungary) uploaded this video recording of the foscam model No. FI9928P
FI9928P day : The day light colour representation is wondefully crisp and sharp. But the night recording is not the great.
FI9928P night :
This video shows nothing at all, no one is walking in the video, nothing is happening. Goes to show you even shit cameras can have alright still image.