The number of megapixels don't matter

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This thread wasn't intentional. Its a matter of personal opinion. When I started looking into surveillance systems, I started assessing what was lacking in my current setup---clarity. The old-style BNC cables just didn't quite fit the degree of clarity needed for facial recognition, license plate recognition, as well as finer detail. An option was to upgrade to AHD, but because old analog systems are expiring, there was clearly little room for improvement.

Then came my search for a better system. Trying out the cheap stuff just didn't work out for me (i.e. Sannce and Z-modo). Even the most reputable non-OEM companies like Amcrest and Swann meant dealing with a half-baked surveillance system. Fortunately, through this forum, Dahua has been stressed a lot (in a good way).

Coming back to the earlier systems I dealt with, I've noticed that the higher megapixel count equated to better digital zoom (good for a person like me who didn't want to deal with motorized lens at the time and with a set budget, could make out license plate numbers even though it would not have been absolute sharp); however, what didn't come to mind was the quality of night vision. Thus, a 4MP camera setup would have had its drawbacks. The same principle would have applied to 3MP, but at a lesser degree as the optics varied a bit. There would have been no point to for getting a higher resolution just to eat up Hard disk space at double the rate.

With a higher-priced camera, along with better optics (even though rated at 2MP), as well as owning one camera with the vari-focal lens (optical zoom), I believe I should be able to achieve better results than what was expected before. I've gone with the NvR5216-16p-4ks2 and HFW4231B-AS as well as one IPC-HDW5231R-Z (should have great night vision and ability to zoom into license plate numbers even without presetting the zoom).

What do you all think? Is this a good start? Like someone else said, "better to get it right the first time"

Thanks

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Some of your thought process is correct and some is flawed.

The old-style BNC cables just didn't quite fit the degree of clarity needed for facial recognition, license plate recognition, as well as finer detail.
You won't regret moving to IP, however the TVI/AHD market has amazing HD options available for situations where pulling new cable is not beneficial. However, saying "BNC cables don't offer clarity for facial recognition, license plate recognition, or finer detail" is simply a false and inaccurate statement. Failure to identify and utilize proper hardware for the job is what causes all the prior.

should have great night vision and ability to zoom into license plate numbers even without presetting the zoom)
First as it relates to LPR - I feel like a broken record regarding this...
LPR requires a dedicated camera to achieve success. Simply trying to use a camera to read license plates as well as act as a security camera will cause you to fail in both areas. If you are serious about LPR then read up on two threads on this forum regarding LPR and purchase a camera specifically for it and configure it's settings to achieve only that.

Thus, a 4MP camera setup would have had its drawbacks. The same principle would have applied to 3MP
The majority of 3MP cameras on the market have some of the noisest image sensors when it comes to night time IR, 4mp would achieve better quality over 3mp but not as high of quality as 2mp.

The number of MP DOES matter, however, you need to understand what you gain and lose along the way. To really understand WHY more isn't always better read the below article as it's been referenced till a few people on this forum are blue in the face.
Camera megapixels: Why more isn't always better (Smartphones Unlocked)

I've gone with the NvR5216-16p-4ks2 and HFW4231B-AS as well as one IPC-HDW5231R-Z
Your starting down a new road with quality hardware.

Good Luck

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Like you said, the hardware paired definitely counts :)

I'm not really looking for a fancy LPR camera, rather a decent camera that can pickup the plate number when zoomed in digitally should be more than sufficient for my needs, because its only for keeping track of whoever rolls in the driveway (which is about ~75 feet more or less). The night vision will matter here. I have motion detection lights which should help as well. The thing that can be of concern is light reflecting off the license plates. The Smart IR filter should help in mitigating this to "some" extent. Again, not really aiming for perfect on this basis, but need one camera pointed to the driveway, yielding decent results and doesn't over-exceed the budget.

Some of your thought process is correct and some is flawed.

You won't regret moving to IP, however the TVI market has amazing HD options available for situations where pulling new cable is not beneficial. However, saying "BNC cables don't offer clarity for facial recognition, license plate recognition, or finer detail" is simply a false and inaccurate statement. Failure to identify and utilize proper hardware for the job is what causes all the prior.

First as it relates to LPR - I feel like a broken record regarding this...
LPR requires a dedicated camera to achieve success. Simply trying to use a camera to read license plates as well as act as a security camera will cause you to fail in both areas. If you are serious about LPR then read up on two threads on this forum regarding LPR and purchase a camera specifically for it and configure it's settings to achieve only that.

The majority of 3MP cameras on the market have some of the noisest image sensors when it comes to night time IR, 4mp would achieve better quality over 3mp but not as high of quality as 2mp.

The number of MP DOES matter, however, you need to understand what you gain and lose along the way. To really understand WHY more isn't always better read the below article as it's been referenced till a few people on this forum are blue in the face.
Camera megapixels: Why more isn't always better (Smartphones Unlocked)

Your starting down a new road with quality hardware.

Good Luck

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I've always been aware that more pixels doesn't equate to better picture, however, I'll be able to better appreciate this principle as time goes on. :)

Although I was intrigued by the color reproduction, and vibrancy on Swann's 4MP video samples. Not sure if they've been post-modified though.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
You are not going to read license plates with IR on even "smart IR" - the license plate will reflect your IR and blind it at night. I will let you venture down this path and learn from experience but what you are describing/expecting you will not achieve. Also, when all your motion lights kick on your camera will attempt to go from night to day mode and you could lose critical video during that transistion... then if you don't have enough light it will alternate again...

This is what you want

but your thought process will get you this

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are overthinking it. Listen to the one's here that have already went down this path, and save yourself lots of time and heartburn.

Ton's of great advice on this forum, if you will take the time to study it and accept it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I find the 4MP cameras make good LPR cameras, this is a high light situation with a very specific configuration, the extra pixels do help reading plates and you can get a cropped 720p h265 substream w/Dahua's thats very nice for reducing storage space needed.. If setup right LPR cameras can be recorded continuously w/much less disk space than normal ones, all night long with mostly black image a variable bitrate is very low.

Andy is sending me a IPC-HFW5431E-Z5 | Dahua Technology this is a 4MP Varifocal with 35mm optics for ~$210, this thing is going to be a fantastic camera dedicated to LPR.. just wait a lil and I'll have a whole thread on it and a few live stream events you can join in and ask me to run any tests your interested in.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Andy is sending me a IPC-HFW5431E-Z5 | Dahua Technology this is a 4MP Varifocal with 35mm optics for ~$210, this thing is going to be a fantastic camera dedicated to LPR.. just wait a lil and I'll have a whole thread on it and a few live stream events you can join in and ask me to run any tests your interested in.
I'll be interested to see if you have enough pixels with only 35mm to ensure ALPRD reads consistently. I might be mistaken but I thought you went to 4mp at 60mm before you were happy with the consistency of your reads.

I see they make a 2mp version too

IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 | Dahua Technology

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this will not be replacing my 60mm 4MP BIrdhouse camera, just augmenting it with another view