The problem I worry about.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My wife has been using the next door app, and has been telling me that our neighborhood which is a nice area, has been getting a ton of issues of punk kids steal Christmas decorations, destroying them, and body slams into garage doors hard enough to ruin them.

Following footage is of the shit heads doing their work. It kind of worries me, that no matter how great the camera system is I'm building, it might not be good enough. :/

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats why you dedicate a display to live view 24/7 video feeds, then you have a chance of catching the bastards in the act and letting em argue with your baseball bat.. recording is just passive unless you hire a security guard to watch it 24/7.

I have a dedicated monitor at my PC and a dedicated monitor at my front door and all my TV's can view the feeds on demand.. but the dedicated displays have caught the most activity because I am an insomniac.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thats why you dedicate a display to live view 24/7 video feeds, then you have a chance of catching the bastards in the act and letting em argue with your baseball bat.. recording is just passive unless you hire a security guard to watch it 24/7.

I have a dedicated monitor at my PC and a dedicated monitor at my front door and all my TV's can view the feeds on demand.. but the dedicated displays have caught the most activity because I am an insomniac.

That is the plan, even in the bedroom, I'm hoping to setup a dedicated input on the tv to stay on at night, I'm sure ill be having to play a lot to get rid of some false positive alerts. I just feel bad for all the people around getting messed with. That's the problem now a days too, if I catch the little bastards, I can't even kick their ass which is what they really need, I'm sure they will have rich sue happy parents ready to hold their hand.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven't started my research yet on a capture card/hdmi out option for the BI box I'll be using. That' is a nice clean option for a screen near the front door/garage door. Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to use an ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro video card back a dozen years ago or so. Swiss Army knife of video cards. Gone the way of the dodo now though.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At least now you know what time during the night these punks are causing havoc.

Maybe you can stake them out and surprise them with a shotgun pointed at their eyes. That will definitely get them to think twice about whether stealing Christmas decorations is worth it. They will also spread the word that your neighborhood is not safe for thieves.

Also, you may be able to clearly identify who they are after you surprise them. And with the video, submit it to the police to make an arrest.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The neighborhood victim already did... the problem is the community is a few square miles, so it is hard to track down where they will hit next.... seems like the weekend after midnight is their deal... seems worth it to me to stay up and catch the turds.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

So please excuse my noobiness, but I'm wanting to run two dedicated monitors from my DVR as you describe. One currently at the DVR and one about 30+ft in another room. Already have an empty Cat5 from DVR location to the other room, so is this the right setup and components?

NVR HDMI out to this splitter:
Amazon.com: OREI HD-102 1x2 1 Port HDMI Powered Splitter Ver 1.3 Certified for Full HD 1080P & 3D Support (One Input To Two Outputs): Home Audio & Theater

Then one HDMI output from the splitter to the main monitor at the DVR, and from the other splitter output into an HDMI to Cat5 extender such as this one:
Amazon.com: J-Tech Digital HDMI Extender By Single Cat 5E/6/7 up to 200ft with Dual IR and EDID support: Electronics
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FIFP6E6?psc=1
Ending at the HDMI to Cat5 receiver and HDMI into one of those Pyle monitors?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can get a 35ft HDMI cable for much less money and it wont have any issues..

Splitting it only works if all displays handle the same resolution, so make sure all your displays are like 1080p.. real easy to find a cheap small monitor that wont do it.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep @bigredfish that would work. Also note monoprice.com also has some 50' HDMI cables if you just want to do that so you don't need the adapters.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh didnt know you could run HDMI that far :)

baby steps

Thank you both very much

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Select Active Series High Performance HDMI® Cable - Monoprice.com

I have a couple of these in the 50' length at the brewery and they work great. They are directional so just assure you double check prior to installing you've run it the right way.

I used the HDMI over ethernet to run from upstairs second floor to lower level first floor during construction when I wasn't sure where everything was going to go so it was cheaper and easier to pull plenty of cat5 vs running HDMI cables everywhere that might not be used

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got 2x 35ft HDMI runs from a bookshelf in my living room to my media cabinet in the basement, then another 35ft one going up to the TV.. plus there are wall mount couplers and a few more feet of cabling in there and everything works well.. I might have to replace the one to the TV when I replace it with a 4K TV, it was the first I put in and IIRC its a HDMI 1.3 spec cable and probably wont give me 4k HDR w/ARC.

The NVR I just used a standard wireless mouse with the radio receiver plugged into a USB extension cable that got close enough to the living room couch to work.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use blue Iris, I have iPad mini's in each room with BI app installed, which I use for viewing my security cameras and my home automation. So matter what room I'm in I can simply look at the iPad in that room to see if something is about to go down . I also I have pir sensor outside which tell me if someone is in the driveway or on my front or back porch . Also use alerts from BI but have to turn them off when it snows or rains. Either way I always know if someone is on my property .

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well apparently that video helped, and the word spread. The parents of the 2 kids, found out, and made them go to each house and apologize for what they did along with offer to pay for damage. Props to the parents for doing the right thing.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use blue Iris, I have iPad mini's in each room with BI app installed, which I use for viewing my security cameras and my home automation. So matter what room I'm in I can simply look at the iPad in that room to see if something is about to go down . I also I have pir sensor outside which tell me if someone is in the driveway or on my front or back porch . Also use alerts from BI but have to turn them off when it snows or rains. Either way I always know if someone is on my property .
Does the BI app have to be bought for each device?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well apparently that video helped, and the word spread. The parents of the 2 kids, found out, and made them go to each house and apologize for what they did along with offer to pay for damage. Props to the parents for doing the right thing.

Very good, Good to see good parents that knew their kids fucked up and it was time to do the right thing :)