The sun is hot - do you shade your cameras?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a turret camera that will get installed on a sunny wall. The sun will beat down on it pretty much the entire day. I think it'll get hotter than the 104F operating temperature, but not sure. For cameras that can't be protected under an eve, do you do something special to keep it from baking? Like put a shade on it?

Besides lowering operating temps, it may also improve image quality by reducing lens flare.

Edit: I found these things. They look kinda heavy duty. Maybe there's smaller or more DIY solution that can provide better shade depending on if you need more outward reach? Still wondering if people bother with these if they buy a nice quality Dahua IP camera. I've seen pictures of mounts where the thing is exposed, wondering if that's typical practice. I'm in Wisconsin.

1589682466168.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
The two below are in the sun all afternoon. This was taken in January at about 2:30pm. The camera on the right is looking due south. This is just north of Houston TX. In the summer months these two really get hit for many hours, direct sun in the hottest part of the day. They have been up since January 2019. Made it fine through last summer. They are Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras.

DSC_4477.JPG