theft from car avoids setting off alarm

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Somewhat off topic of IP cameras but maybe someone here has an idea:
I heard on Nextdoor that many cars, perhaps as many as nine parked at a restaurant were all broken into last night, all within 1 hour. Each had a broken window. They apparently took laptops from each car that were not visible, hidden in the trunk.
"I think a center punch was used to shatter the windows so no noise or shock to the car. The car was unlocked from inside to disable the alarm before opening the door."

Just curious, is there some type of alarm that would have prevented this (cannot be disabled from inside the car without using the actual keyfob?)

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most factory alarms don't even have shock sensors at all the shock sensor is an add on they sell for about $300. After-market alarms require the fob to disable (or pop the hood disconnect the battery, pull horn fuse, yank wire to alarm module). You can get acoustic glass break sensors and microwave motion detectors for some after market alarms, but few do. You've probably encountered the microwave motion sensor at some point on a convertible that squawked at you when you got too close getting in and out of your own car. You can also get aftermarket sirens with their own battery backup.

Ultimately most of these things just make the car alarm more annoying and do little to prevent theft.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also worth noting on many newer vehicles using aftermarket remote start requires compromising other vehicle security mechanisms like the immobilizer.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
..and newer cars have deadlocking so you can't unlock the doors without the key, even from the inside.

BTW, forget shock sensors, ultrasonics are far more effective.

The protection you would have needed is an alarm with ultrasonic emitters as these fill the interior with ultrasonic sound and then if the sound pattern is interfered with, alarm. It might not have stopped the thief from disabling the alarm by unlocking from the inside (depending on the alarm), but it would have set the alarm off the second the window broke so would have given few seconds of notice.

Probably the best alarm to fit here would an after market one such as Thatcham Category 1 Alarm, this almost certainly couldn't be disabled by unlocking from the inside:

Thatcham Category 1 Insurance Approved

Such as a Cobra A4138:

Thatcham category 1 car alarm

Cobra AK4138 | Obsessive Vehicle Security Blog

BTW, don't be alarmed by the price above, it's an old article and prices have fallen. In the UK it found for as little as £149 at dealers or £129 on ebay.

Another alternative Cat 1 would be a Toad Ai606:

Toad Ai606 (Insurance Approved) - Toad Alarms

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They apparently took laptops from each car that were not visible, hidden in the truck.
Do a better job of hiding them or don't have them in the car in the first place.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
My wife had her work laptop stolen from her locked and alarmed car (Ford Escape). Same method. Broke the rear fly window, reached in without opening a door, and took the laptop. In the dark and with tinted windows, she figures they were watching when she opened the trunk and saw the bag inside. Google adding glass breaks or other sensors to your factory system. There are usually detailed instructions so it's fairly cheap and easy to do yourself.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I hear you about the false alarms, that happens sometimes on my street but I'll still glance out if I'm near a window. The one time it wasn't a false alarm, my video showed the guy wearing a mask checking doors at 3am did immediately stop, hop on his skateboard and scoot off, even though no one was pursuing him at that moment .