Thermal Sensing / Cloud recording, etc.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Curious, keep hearing about how much more "reliable" a thermal sensing camera system is for false positives, etc. Have there been some recent significant improvements in IP Sec Cam tech vs say my Hikvision 2142FWD's (ignoring the fact that I should have bought turrets that is!).

Also, anyone successfully recording motion video up into the cloud? I need to figure out how to better protect my NVR since it would be pretty easy to steal (sits in my basement at my homerun location), but also wondering if there is a better day to at least store some temporary amount of motion/trigger induced video up in the cloud?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Curious, keep hearing about how much more "reliable" a thermal sensing camera system is for false positives, etc. Have there been some recent significant improvements in IP Sec Cam tech vs say my Hikvision 2142FWD's (ignoring the fact that I should have bought turrets that is!).

Also, anyone successfully recording motion video up into the cloud? I need to figure out how to better protect my NVR since it would be pretty easy to steal (sits in my basement at my homerun location), but also wondering if there is a better day to at least store some temporary amount of motion/trigger induced video up in the cloud?
Hi pbc,

If you are referring to PIR technology in IP cameras - then I do not yet think that tech has matured well enough yet. Best is still have have a independent security alarm system and the associated sensors for things like that. I'm hoping we see a dramatic improvement in the next 2 year on alarm sensors integrated into IP security cameras.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone currently doing it well in your opinion?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

This is the only outdoor rated camera with PIR sensor I am aware of that doesnt cost an arm and a leg like mobotix.
IPC-HFW1831C-PIR 8MP WDR IR Mini Bullet Network Camera / Active Deterrence Overview

That said, if you want something super reliable, you are WAY better off buying a quality outdoor pir sensor and using that to trigger the alarm in on the camera.
With respect to cloud recording, its a gimmick. You are better off buying a cheap NVR and hiding it as well as using SD cards. pumping high quality video over the net 24/7 makes no sense.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any outdoor pir sensors that you recco Fenderman?