Thinking of replacing PTZ with 360 dome outdoors

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a small 2mp PTZ camera with 4x zoom mounted at the exterior face of my house. Most of the time it is looking at my driveway, but from time to time I monitor parking space (visitor space) inmediately infront my house if I or a visotor parks there.

One of the challenges is that with a PTZ camera you can only monitor one place at a time. And this being the front of my house I don't and can't (HOA) install 2 or 3 cameras to monitor different areas. If it were up to me I have 3 cameras at that location.

Dahua makes a 12mp stalight 360 dome that I am thinking to install the location of the PTZ.
The idea is have a good overall of both the driveway and the parking space across. Hopefully with the 12mp I will not be giving up too much "zoom" capability.

Has anyone deployed a 360 camera outdoors with success?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recommend multiple dahua 2MP starlight cameras. I have never had a PTZ cameras to work for me. With a PTZ it is mostly looking in the wrong place when the action occurs.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you guys, I was afarid the solution would be to install two cameras - some problems only one have solution that works well.

The 360 seem like that work best inside an office space etc.

I really like the starlight cameras. I have a mini dome outback and it love it, will definately look at the "boobs" version.

Yes with the PTZ there is always the chance its not looking at the action due to a reset or glitch that causes it to home in the middle of the day.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

360/180 degree cams have extremely short range for recognizing faces, license plates, etc. The pixels are simply spread out too far.
Yea, that is what I noticed from a 360 photo camera. And those qualities you mention are all important for exterior cameras.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks eveyone, Im going to rethink my strategy, but the PTZ will probably go specially since I dont have native support in my VMS - only generic Onvif.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think it does on the nas based setup I am using, its only giving me a 1080p stream when the camera is a 4mp.. (yes I know I need to get on a PC. Im working on that)

This is a discussion for another thread, but Synology give me 4mp, Qnap only gives me 1080.
Neither has this camera in their supported list of cameras. But after trying the Qnap app I wont go back to synology.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it does on the nas based setup I am using, its only giving me a 1080p stream when the camera is a 4mp.. (yes I know I need to get on a PC. Im working on that)

This is a discussion for another thread, but Synology give me 4mp, Qnap only gives me 1080.
Neither has this camera in their supported list of cameras. But after trying the Qnap app I wont go back to synology.
if onvif works it would give you the full stream. you have something reconfigured.