Thoughts on Camera Placement for New Construction

omyliver

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping someone could help.

Purchasing a new construction and I am planning for a camera system. I came up with this layout and wanted to get advice on if this is any good. The placements are marked with green squares.

I don't have one set for the front door because I'll have a door bell camera. I'll also have a floodlight camera in front of bedroom 4.

Would anyone do it differently? Trying to do a setup with the least amount of cameras to keep the house not looking like a giant robot.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping someone could help.

Purchasing a new construction and I am planning for a camera system. I came up with this layout and wanted to get advice on if this is any good. The placements are marked with green squares.

I don't have one set for the front door because I'll have a door bell camera. I'll also have a floodlight camera in front of bedroom 4.

Would anyone do it differently? Trying to do a setup with the least amount of cameras to keep the house not looking like a giant robot.

Thanks for the help!
Hi and welcome @omyliver

Over cable. You have imho too few drops. Also, plan for internal networking drops at this time.

Front door - plan for BOTH a doorbell product and a mini-dome wedge at face level. ( door bells are normally mounted too low imho for those to press the key, and you want a good facial ID shot )

Also, 2 for the garage - one on each side of the door.

Seriously, over cable when you do the work.. N+1 for each drop, and even if you only decide to use one of those extra cable lines - it will pay for itself right away as pulling an extra cable during the work is only a little extra $ and work.

omyliver

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi and welcome @omyliver

Over cable. You have imho too few drops. Also, plan for internal networking drops at this time.

Front door - plan for BOTH a doorbell product and a mini-dome wedge at face level. ( door bells are normally mounted too low imho for those to press the key, and you want a good facial ID shot )

Also, 2 for the garage - one on each side of the door.

Seriously, over cable when you do the work.. N+1 for each drop, and even if you only decide to use one of those extra cable lines - it will pay for itself right away as pulling an extra cable during the work is only a little extra $ and work.
I've been debating whether to add another for the front door and just wasn't sure if it was necessary because of the doorbell. Two for the garage sounds like a good idea!

Thanks for the advice, mat200!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been debating whether to add another for the front door and just wasn't sure if it was necessary because of the doorbell. Two for the garage sounds like a good idea!

Thanks for the advice, mat200!
Hi @omyliver

If you are pulling new cables to the frontdoor - definitely pull extra!

Seriously, I now am a very big believer in the N+1 cable pulls ..

If I was building a new home, I would ( as a minimum ) pull 2 cat5e/6 cables to a doorbell location, 2 cables to a face level by the front door camera location, and then 2 cables off to the side for a better wider view. ( good to see the backside of a person in case they're hiding something behind their back.. yes, a bit paranoid - but I have seen enough security camera video captures to know this stuff happens )

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you park cars in the driveway at night , have a camera mounted on both sides of the garage at about 6-7 ft up, the soffit mount is to high to identify the person.

omyliver

n3wb
Reaction score
With all this advice, I have made adjustments and additions to my layout. The cliff notes were especially helpful. I've reached a point where I feel there there is a good blend of security and clean aesthetics to the whole system. Some of the placements were a bit of a tough sell, design-wise, to my spouse but we've agreed to run them anyway.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!