Thoughts on this PC to run BI with 6 2mp ip cams?

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seeing my CPU clock spiking up to 30% with my current devil's canyon i5 with only 2 cams right now and it goes higher if I run other background apps for my media center app, I am considering getting yet another PC in my arsenal but don't want to drop a whole lot of coin on it. I usually build but this time I'm considering getting a refurb and then putting the extra Samsung EVO 850 SSD I have in it for an OS drive along with a 4TB drive I have as well to do the recording. This will be a stand alone BI computer doing nothing but acting as a DVR.

I'm looking at this one from MicroCenter. Thoughts?

TIA

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Overpriced..You can get a virtually new elitedesk i5-6500 for the same.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It usually costs more to build but you get to pick you components to suit your exact specifications.

I read someplace here to go i7 but now your recommending an i5. Do you have a link @fenderman?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It usually costs more to build but you get to pick you components to suit your exact specifications.

I read someplace here to go i7 but now your recommending an i5. Do you have a link @fenderman?
It varies by need...The newer i5 is comparable to that old ,i7... Links vary daily

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Also your current system is way more than adequate for BI and 6 2mp cameras..you are not setting it up correctly...
direct to disk
hardware acceleration
and NO DEMO MODE...demo does not support those features.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an i5 4650k haswell now with 16Gig RAM now. I have a lot of apps running so I see the CPU clock over 50% at times.

I am on a licensed version and do have it set for HW Acceleration and Direct Stream. I wouldn't mind NOT buying a new PC right now BTW.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an i5 4650k haswell now with 16Gig RAM now. I have a lot of apps running so I see the CPU clock over 50% at times.

I am on a licensed version and do have it set for HW Acceleration and Direct Stream. I wouldn't mind NOT buying a new PC right now BTW.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
If you dedicate your current pc to blue iris and 6x2mp cameras, your load will be about 10-15 percent...

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you dedicate your current pc to blue iris and 6x2mp cameras, your load will be about 10-15 percent...
That brings me back to the possible need for another PC. Looking at resource monitor I see that BI averages about 6.5% CPU and BI Tools yet another 1.5%, totaling 8%. Other operations running on this PC make up the rest and sometimes they are pretty high, spiking CPU clock ticks up into the 50% to 60% range. Is it safe to assume that each camera will be another 2% CPU usage or is some sort of an exponential thing? If it is linear, adding 4 more cameras similar to the two I have now will only bring BI and BI Tools up to a total of maybe 16% and total CPU usage will still be less than 80% when these other operations are running. This is tolerable so long as TDP stays under control, I think.