Time to get the broom out.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup I have webs in front of 4 of mine right now, too lazy to go clean them up, especially the one in the crawlspace watching the water line. That one has had a web all winter.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This little guy triggered Line Crossing. So I need to get it off so I don't get bombarded with emails over night.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With that subject line - thought I was going to see an old lady with a wart on her nose.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They are triggering a couple of my turrets non-stop. Is there any magic setting to keep spiders \ webs from triggering My (done in BI) motion detection? I've tried all sorts of stuff but no luck other than the broom.
Also I am getting birds again looking at the camera circle (I have the 5231 Zs) thinking the whole thing is an available birdhouse.
Everyone says still better that bullet style for this stuff though but I do not have any to compare.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at the cameras it's not obvious to me why a turret has less spider problems than a bullet. They both have a flat surface with a lens, and typically 2 IR lights close to the lens. Something mysterious about the shape of the camera body besides the face? Seems like external IR is the best solution. Too bad the cameras don't have a 12 volt output that would drive a few watts.

dabossc7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got this pic at 5AM this morning. Surprised I did not get a slew of emails.
View attachment 29092
Had same problem with one of mine sprayed some $6 motorcycle chain lube all over camera and near area not the lens! very sticky stuff lasted 3 months couldn't believe how many bugs were stuck in it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at the cameras it's not obvious to me why a turret has less spider problems than a bullet. They both have a flat surface with a lens, and typically 2 IR lights close to the lens. Something mysterious about the shape of the camera body besides the face? ......
I think the spiders see a average (or greatest concentration) and a ring of IR LEDs around a bullet cam's lens average out to be dead center, so they string across it. In turrets, the 1 or 2 LEDs are to the side of the lens so they see no need to cross the lens. Too bad we can't ask them.

Certainly no design is immune, but it seems my 2 bullets have the most issues with spiders, though.

....too bad the cameras don't have a 12 volt output that would drive a few watts.
IMO, a great idea. It could be an option, like a suffix on the end of the part number, like "-12IR' for a 12VDC/1A (12 watt) output. If not needed or ordered, you wouldn't pay for it!

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wish mine had the option to turn off IR, that way i could place a IR light away from the camera and still illuminate the area, i.e. other corner of my garage

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Isn't that what a POE 12V splitter is for? To power the camera but split off addtitonal 12v to power something else also?...or do they not work like that?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't that what a POE 12V splitter is for? To power the camera but split off addtitonal 12v to power something else also?...or do they not work like that?
Are you responding to @tigerwillow1 's post and my response? If so, the short answer is "Yes."

A better answer, IMO, is "Yes, but now you have another component outdoors that you have to mount, protect from the elements and is possibly bulky and unsightly. If such an option was available as an output from the cam, it could be a simple plug-in designed to be weather-resistant and not so obvious". :cool:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I agree it would be a great option, but in its absence I was asking if a POE splitter is the right tool to use if you wanted to add external IR from the POE connection...or does a POE splitter split ALL the power away from the data and maybe you cannot run the camera and external IR with a splitter?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
All the splitters I'm familiar with run data only to the camera and power only to the power output connector. You have to run 12 volt power to both the camera and the external LED light. Ironic, you have to split the output of the splitter.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I agree it would be a great option, but in its absence I was asking if a POE splitter is the right tool to use if you wanted to add external IR from the POE connection...or does a POE splitter split ALL the power away from the data and maybe you cannot run the camera and external IR with a splitter?
Most active splitters that I have seen or used accept POE 802.3af input and will separate POE/power from data into an RJ-45 for data and a barrel connector for 12VDC and in some cases, 5VDC. It's actually for non-POE devices. If you tried to run the cam on 12 VDC ( most will) and the IR LED you'd have to split the 12VDC with a Y so as to power both. Now you've got a POE-capable cam that is not utilizing its main feature but is instead being fed power from a Y along with an IR LED and also you now have both a POE splitter and a Y to hide and protect from the elements. I don't think that offers any advantage and IMO is a step backwards.

With that in consideration, my answer to your question ".... if a POE splitter is the right tool to use if you wanted to add external IR from the POE connection", I personally would say no. I'd run 2 POE Ethernet cables; 1 to the cam and 1 to the IR LED.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good explanation. I think I have seen some POE powered IRs out there too so you would not need the splitter if you ran 2 POE cables.
Wish I'd thought about that before running my lines...it was a pain and the on camera IRs are not all that great coverage wise in addition to the web, bug problem.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are also limited to what you can run off of a POE splitter, lets say the cam use's 6 watts, and you want to add a 8 watt IR, you are now at the max that the POE switch can supply.
Run 2 ethernet cables to each location, then you can do about anything you need/want.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good point.
So any idea what happens when you try doing that and do not have enough power? Can to little power supplied ( or too much if using POE+) ever damage the camera somehow?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
If you tried to run the cam on 12 VDC ( most will) and the IR LED you'd have to split the 12VDC with a Y so as to power both. Now you've got a POE-capable cam that is not utilizing its main feature but is instead being fed power from a Y along with an IR LED and also you now have both a POE splitter and a Y
The above is similar to how I power external mics.
  • POE enet to splitter input.
  • Non-poe IP output from splitter to cam.
  • 12V DC output from splitter to y cable input.
  • Y cable DC output #1 to cam DC in.
  • Y cable DC output #2 to mic DC in.
  • Mic audio out to cam audio in.
This all fits in the junction box that I mounted the cam on. Nice: Using a single run of cat 6 cable to power both cam and mic.
Sure, I could run two Cat 6 cables, but needing to pull another cable is a headache, if the first Cat6 cable is already pulled.

If installing a new cam, that's different. Pulling 2 cat6 cable makes sense, since it "future proofs" the installation. Maybe a 2nd cam would be desired in the future? eg:
A) add a cam w/ 12mm lens to look long at a specific object of interest,
B) a PTZ,
C) have two cams cover an area, etc.
There's so many toys we might want in the future!

The powered mic doesn't consume much power at all. Looney2ns makes a good point, if you're considering IR LEDs, you must look at total power draw.

Fastb

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This all fits in the junction box that I mounted the cam on. Nice: Using a single run of cat 6 cable to power both cam and mic.
Sure, I could run two Cat 6 cables, but needing to pull another cable is a headache, if the first Cat6 cable is already pulled.
True

If installing a new cam, that's different. Pulling 2 cat6 cable makes sense, since it "future proofs" the installation. Maybe a 2nd cam would be desired in the future? eg:
Right again