Time to Retire?

Reaction score
This 1.3mp Dahua bullet has been going since December of 2012. I have been irritated lately that it keeps dropping off the network / disconnecting --- often several times per hour. When you think of it, over 7 years of service from an inexpensive piece of electronics is actually really pretty amazing. I have 2 other bullets of the same vintage as this one that are running, and I will use one of them at this camera location and bring the other inside and let it run there. Maybe it's some other network thing going on with this (???), but it's probably time for retirement.

The upgrade cycle is ongoing for most, though I really haven't swapped cameras out at all. How long do YOU keep cameras running? is it until you see the next shiny thing, or 'till death do you part?

1590774565405.png

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This 1.3mp Dahua bullet has been going since December of 2012. I have been irritated lately that it keeps dropping off the network / disconnecting --- often several times per hour. When you think of it, over 7 years of service from an inexpensive piece of electronics is actually really pretty amazing. I have 2 other bullets of the same vintage as this one that are running, and I will use one of them at this camera location and bring the other inside and let it run there. Maybe it's some other network thing going on with this (???), but it's probably time for retirement.

The upgrade cycle is ongoing for most, though I really haven't swapped cameras out at all. How long do YOU keep cameras running? is it until you see the next shiny thing, or 'till death do you part?

View attachment 62682
I get this with some of my older cameras.

Im sure it's to do with my initial mish mash of riginal wiring on the network as it's all retrofit and tagged on.

I'm setting up from scratch in the new house thankfully so get to run everything fresh and where I want it.

As a test I moved one of the cameras that kept dropping off to a different location and run a new wire directly to a switch that went to my BI machine.

Result = 8 months later it hasn't dropped once!

A lot needs to be said for proper wiring runs and using dedicated switches rather than the rest of you home networking e.g. router

Your situation may be totally different but in my case that's what I have found.
Must add though that this is only 1 camera of 3 that dropped out
Haven't bothered with the rest yet as I'm just renovating the new place so will have a fresh install to test on

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe the connector contacts are a bit corroded?! Remove it and plug it back in a few times, and see if it helps.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have three cameras that do that, two are SV3C and one is a Reolink. I retired the Reolink today, finally and replaced it with a B5442E-ZE. All the cables are hand made, and I've made thousands, literally. I also use dielectric grease on the RJ connectors to avoid corrosion and water infiltration. In this case I believe it's all realted to the age of the cameras, the "quality" of the cameras and temperature. It always happens in the 30-50F range.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've run into cable terminations failing quite a few times in my IT career, replace the cable, problem solved. I've also seen Ethernet ports fail, rare, but it happens.

I tend to replace my cameras when the next gen of higher resolution cameras become affordable for my budget. Over the last year, I've upgraded some of my cameras from 2MP (Amcrest) to 8MP (rebranded Hikvisions from GW Security).

I've had cameras that dies in less than a year and others that lasted many, many years and were still working when I replaced them.