Timeline bar won't stop

Reaction score
I have 3 cameras setup in BI. For a few days all worked well, and when motion was detected each camera recorded a clip, and after X seconds the recording stopped. So my timeline view had many small clips.

Something changed (maybe I did it) and now one of my cameras ALWAYS has a colored bar in the timeline view. Clicking anywhere on the bar shows the same old still image. If I play forward and eventually hit a clip that clip plays, but then the image returns to that same still.

What have I done wrong? How do I make the long bar stop for this one camera? (I have unchecked the combine or cut video in the record tab for that camera)

Thanks
timeline.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 cameras setup in BI. For a few days all worked well, and when motion was detected each camera recorded a clip, and after X seconds the recording stopped. So my timeline view had many small clips.

Something changed (maybe I did it) and now one of my cameras ALWAYS has a colored bar in the timeline view. Clicking anywhere on the bar shows the same old still image. If I play forward and eventually hit a clip that clip plays, but then the image returns to that same still.

What have I done wrong? How do I make the long bar stop for this one camera? (I have unchecked the combine or cut video in the record tab for that camera)

Thanks
View attachment 34711
was that video recorded before or after you unchecked the box. Unchecking wont change things after the fact. Also what have you selected for your recording option? continuous, triggered or one of the others?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I disabled the cut/combine option and then rebooted. No difference. I have triggered selected for recording. (That seems to work. Between recordings I always find the same static snapshot).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I disabled the cut/combine option and then rebooted. No difference. I have triggered selected for recording. (That seems to work. Between recordings I always find the same static snapshot).
you will need to post all your settings for the camera, record tab, config tab, video tab as well as the cameras own video settings

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok screen shots attached. I don't have a config tab, but maybe it's renamed trigger in my version
View attachment 34735
View attachment 34731 View attachment 34732 View attachment 34733 View attachment 34734
uncheck include jpegs on all clips and timeline.
unrelated but important, your make time is way too high, you are certainly missing footage. set it to 0.7-1.0 max
use standard detection not gaussian.
you likely made a bunch of changes without knowing what you are doing. Delete the camera in BI and start over. Understand the changes you make - that is why the help file is there.

Reaction score
I unchecked include jpegs on all clips and timeline, but the bar continues. (I should mentioned my other 2 camers still have that checked and they don't suffer the problem of a continuous bar in the timeline).

For fun, i disabled all recording, no snapshots, yet STILL that blue bar remains.

I'm hesitant to delete the camera because I put a lot of time into the masking/zones.

I selected gaussian becase at night my camera shows lots of dancing pixels (due to poor handling of low light conditions)...gaussian seemed to do a much better job of motion detection with gaussian. Is there a reason to prefer simple?
Similarly, lots of false triggers at night seemed to improve as I increased make time. What's the benefit of reducing the make time?

Last edited:
Reaction score
As an experiment, I deleted all clips / alerts. Now suddenly the blue bar is gone!! I assume this is a bug.

Thanks for the assistance - led me down the right path.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an experiment, I deleted all clips / alerts. Now suddenly the blue bar is gone!! I assume this is a bug.

Thanks for the assistance - led me down the right path.
No something else was going on.

Reaction score
Yeah, I spoke to soon. It's back, and now 2 cameras have this symptom. If I delete all snapshots/videos it will probably work for a while but something else is wrong.
(Wondering if this is a bug)

Ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I spoke to soon. It's back, and now 2 cameras have this symptom. If I delete all snapshots/videos it will probably work for a while but something else is wrong.
(Wondering if this is a bug)

Ideas?
remember that many of the settings are profile specific. So select the profile that you want to change.

Reaction score
I'm working with only one profile to solve this ("DRIVEWAY"). Everything looks right...which is why I suspect a bug.

Does anyone from Blue Iris monitor these forums? I've tried contacting the company by email a couple of weeks ago but no answer.

I'm still running the demo edition - wondering if the guy who wrote the program is still actively working on the product. I'll also check the forums to see what else people are using. (I'm getting an uneasy feeling about the product at this point).

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Updates come out regularly so yes, he is still working on it. Probably won't get a response to your email since you haven't purchased the program.

Driveway isn't a profile. Night Time is a profile.

For troubleshooting try unchecking all jpeg snapshot check boxes.

Reaction score
Well....problem keeps reappearing and my demo has now expired. It's hard to purchase something that seems to have obvious bugs and the support isn't there.

If it take 2 weeks to answer a support email and the demo is 2 weeks, then you really cut down your potential market. Too bad, but I can't shell out $60 for something that may not work for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well....problem keeps reappearing and my demo has now expired. It's hard to purchase something that seems to have obvious bugs and the support isn't there.

If it take 2 weeks to answer a support email and the demo is 2 weeks, then you really cut down your potential market. Too bad, but I can't shell out $60 for something that may not work for me.
Again you didnt respond to suggestions. You need to learn how to help yourself or pay someone to setup a vms for you.
No worries he doesn't need your 60 dollars. Any issue you are constantly having is likely user error and/or that can be solved with a reinstall. Sometimes folks like you dont use common sense. Let me help you. There are thousands of blue iris users here none of whom has seen this issue. Think a bit, what does that tell you?
I laugh when folks imply that 60 dollars is some how a large sum of money. 60 dollars is NOTHING in the vms world. Most companies that charge 100 PER camera will charge you for support after 90 days or 1 year. Dont expect support before you spent a dime. Even after paying a whole 60 dollars, support will be limited. Blue iris is developed by a single person. He has one assistant helping with support emails - not even sure its full time. That is how this amazing product can be sold for only 60 dollars.

Delete your database folder and restart.

or look at digital watchdog vms, its 70 dollars per camera - maybe they will respond to your support requests.

Last edited: