Timeline Playback Delay and Intermittent Black Screens

ondabside

n3wb
Reaction score
I have something weird going on and was hoping you guys could help track it down.

I have two cameras, a Foscam C1 and Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD.

Got 2 weird things going on:

Scrolling through Timeline:
When I scroll through the timeline (left & right) the C1 camera appears to be able to keep up with the speed of my scrolling, the Hikvision seems to stutter as I move left and right. I know the C1 has drastically lower res which may be why I can scroll with no delay. Is there a setting I can modify to allow for smooth scrolling for all of the cameras?

Intermittent black screens when scrolling through timeline:
I see this in both the C1 and the HIkvision where when I scroll across line time periods (8-9 hrs) in the timeline, the viewer for the cameras go black screen for a second or so which looks like missing recorded footage but it actually isn't. The Hikvision does it more often than the C1 so I'm assuming it's resolution.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have something weird going on and was hoping you guys could help track it down.

I have two cameras, a Foscam C1 and Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD.

Got 2 weird things going on:

Scrolling through Timeline:
When I scroll through the timeline (left & right) the C1 camera appears to be able to keep up with the speed of my scrolling, the Hikvision seems to stutter as I move left and right. I know the C1 has drastically lower res which may be why I can scroll with no delay. Is there a setting I can modify to allow for smooth scrolling for all of the cameras?

Intermittent black screens when scrolling through timeline:
I see this in both the C1 and the HIkvision where when I scroll across line time periods (8-9 hrs) in the timeline, the viewer for the cameras go black screen for a second or so which looks like missing recorded footage but it actually isn't. The Hikvision does it more often than the C1 so I'm assuming it's resolution.

Thanks!
What is your cpu consumption during playback?
if you record on motion only then one camera will show black if nothing was recorded at that time while the other will show footage.

ondabside

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep - camera is set for continuous recording so it's not set on trigger only for motion.

CPU hovers around 40-60% as I drag the timeline back and forth.

with respect to the black screens, watching the timestamp it doesn't look like I'm missing data, it just looks like a completely black frame is inserted in the video so it just looks like data is missing.

Is a beefy CPU/Memory required for BlueIris?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In camera properties, video tab, uncheck the box for using hardware acceleration for clip playback (there is no global setting for this). What you describe is one of the issues caused by it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is a beefy CPU/Memory required for BlueIris?
No..it depends on the number of cameras and resolution/frame rates..im most cases a haswell/skylake i5 is more than sufficient. What are your system specs. Also are you recording direct to disk? This is an option set in the record tab>file format.

ondabside

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got an I7 930, older PC but the CPU doesn't spike when I move the timeline around, I disabled all cameras but one, it's already set to direct to disk for recording using Blue Iris DVR format.

It still continues to have black frames and not show a smooth transition of time as I scroll through the timeline. I have the latest update of BI as well.