to 4K or not 4K IP Cam?

JPColin

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I installed a couple years ago 4 CAT5E calbe at the 4 corners of the house (onder the roof)
I was waiting for 4K IP Cams to get cheaper (and beter). I just installed a Dahua bullet IPC3200C at the garage.
but now about 4 years ago, decent 4K camera's are still not cheap and i'm tired waiting.
The dahua has been ok, but I'm looking more a hikvision 4 line with face detection to trigger an event if someone is in around the house when security system is armed.
Long text for simple question, should i wait a little more for affordable and decent 4K or got for a HD IPcam?
I've read that the low light sensitivity and frame rate a still not so good, so i don't want to pay 400-800€ for something not top notch!

Any thoughts about this?

thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I installed a couple years ago 4 CAT5E calbe at the 4 corners of the house (onder the roof)
I was waiting for 4K IP Cams to get cheaper (and beter). I just installed a Dahua bullet IPC3200C at the garage.
but now about 4 years ago, decent 4K camera's are still not cheap and i'm tired waiting.
The dahua has been ok, but I'm looking more a hikvision 4 line with face detection to trigger an event if someone is in around the house when security system is armed.
Long text for simple question, should i wait a little more for affordable and decent 4K or got for a HD IPcam?
I've read that the low light sensitivity and frame rate a still not so good, so i don't want to pay 400-800€ for something not top notch!

Any thoughts about this?

thanks.
Welcome @JPColin

Please see the reviews members are sharing with the various cameras they have picked up. Many are sharing videos to help you determine what you may want, or if you would like to wait some more.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any thoughts about this?
IMO, it depends on how much light you have around at night and what your expectations are. Both Dahua and HIK have newer 4K models that are getting closer to the low-light image quality of the 2MP series that are known for their low-light image quality (Dahua Starlight and HIK Ultra-Low Light)... but even then, the newer 4K models still need approximately 1.5x-2.0x more light. So if you have an area that's pretty bright at night, one of these 4K cameras may do as well as the 2MP low-light cameras. The Dahua 4K models (1831/2831) are around US $145 and US $185 through the forum vendor that most folks here buy from (EmpireTech Andy, in the Vendors sub-forums). He uses DHL to ship worldwide, FWIW.

I'm interested in seeing how well HIK's new AcuSense "people detection" in the (4 line) perform. Looks like the forum here might be reselling some of those models in the near future. See post #17 in this thread: New Dahua(Actually Hikvision) Darkfighters

JPColin

n3wb
Reaction score
IMO, it depends on how much light you have around at night and what your expectations are. Both Dahua and HIK have newer 4K models that are getting closer to the low-light image quality of the 2MP series that are known for their low-light image quality (Dahua Starlight and HIK Ultra-Low Light)... but even then, the newer 4K models still need approximately 1.5x-2.0x more light. So if you have an area that's pretty bright at night, one of these 4K cameras may do as well as the 2MP low-light cameras. The Dahua 4K models (1831/2831) are around US $145 and US $185 through the forum vendor that most folks here buy from (EmpireTech Andy, in the Vendors sub-forums). He uses DHL to ship worldwide, FWIW.

I'm interested in seeing how well HIK's new AcuSense "people detection" in the (4 line) perform. Looks like the forum here might be reselling some of those models in the near future. See post #17 in this thread: New Dahua(Actually Hikvision) Darkfighters
Wel thank you for your repl, this helps a bit, it's not 100% dark, of course you have the moon most of the time, but also some light from road next to the house. But 2x more light seems a lot to me. I have not heart about people detection, only face detection.
Looking at the easy ip4 camera's i see no bullet with face or people detection.
I'd rather switch to a Hikvision instead of dahua. I had some firmware upgrade and i'm unable to stream an mjpeg to my home automation controle touchscreen with my dahua.
But it seems ip cams are still evolving a lot, acusense could help me to limit false alarms on face detection to have a reliable system.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to agree with the above on lighting. 4K's are excellent in the daytime, it is the night time and low light where they suffer compared to a 2mp. So if you have sufficient lighting they can be made to work well at night.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd rather switch to a Hikvision instead of dahua. I had some firmware upgrade and i'm unable to stream an mjpeg to my home automation controle touchscreen with my dahua.
Yeah, it looks like mjpeg is something that Dahua dropped from their newer firmwares. I started w/ HIK but switched to Dahua because they were first to market with the 2MP models (Starlight) that do great in low-light. HIK eventually got some low-light models out (Utra-Low Light), but they didn't have as many styles as Dahua (turrets with microphones, bullets, domes, mini-domes, big PTZs, mini PTZs, and varifocal lens versions of many models).

have not heart about people detection, only face detection.
You're right, I don't see it on the spec sheet either. I just picked it up from their marketing video.. didn't seem like it was ID'ing faces as much as it was ID'ing "people" (vs shadows, leaves, dogs, etc). I'm anxious to see someone here do a full review of one of them!

JPColin

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking at TDS van those easy ip4 camera's they are not labeled smart and can not find any feature for face/people detection only "false alarm filter by target classification" But no description of what this means. They are indeed labeled Acusense. I did not find any manual for these 2 cams. Quite confusing. It seems all have to wait a little bit more.
In fact i don't need ID'ing face, just people.
Also still not conviced by 8Mp/4K cams.
Do you know if MJPG (direct link http) is available on hikvision pro/ultra series?