To deepstack, or not to deepstack, that is the question??

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have been so busy lately, I wasn't even aware of deepstack. I have been reading the last couple of days on it, and find it might be something I want to use. But, I find that many people seem to be having issues also. How many BI users actually use deepstack now? Does it bring enough benefits to justify my time to get things setup?
Please don't answer if you don't have time, or don't want to take the time. This is just a little survey for myself. I will continue to search, read, watch videos, etc. but I would like someones opinion, only if you have the time to give it. ;)
By the way, thanks for your time.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It depends on what you're trying to do.

For me it, it was definitely worth the effort. It has totally cut down on false alerts, and it's free! I was using Sentry AI, which was pretty good, but it's a subscription service and was prone to false alerts because it wasn't tuneable.

There a lot of variables that will affect how it works, CPU overhead, camera angles, trigger settings, etc. The most important factor is whether you have enough CPU overhead for DS to work. I was running on an i7-7700K with 10 cameras and it was working quite well. I ran into some strange problems with DS, but it turned out to be a hardware issue (CPU overheating causing performance issues).

For the CPU installation, just install DS, turn it on in BI, and enable it for each camera you want to use it on. You can also configure what objects will trigger an alert.

You can also use it with a GPU to reduce the CPU load, I'm using a Quadro P400, relatively cheap and much lower power requirements than a gaming GPU. A little more effort is required for the DS installation, but it's pretty straight forward.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I have not had much time to tinker lately, but I just noticed that deepstack is already installed? I just notice a couple of minutes ago actually. So, I guess I don't have to even install it. I just have to start it and tinker, I guess.
Would you happen to know if there is a thread on here where people have showed their settings.
I'm watching a video right now on this very thing, but it is months old, and I'm sure things may have changed since that time.
Thanks again for taking time to share your knowledge. It is very greatly appreciated.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You must have installed it at some point, it's not part of the BI installation, but since it's there, just turn it on and do some tinkering!

There are a ton of threads referencing DS settings, best thing is to use search to find them.

BI also has a Youtube video for DS:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
DeepStack does not install itself. If you read the help file in BI it specifically states that you need to install Deepstack. To confirm it is installed you need to enable it in the AI tab of BI and check to make sure it's running by clicking on the link specifically for that on the AI tab.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DeepStack does not install itself. If you read the help file in BI it specifically states that you need to install Deepstack. To confirm it is installed you need to enable it in the AI tab of BI and check to make sure it's running by clicking on the link specifically for that on the AI tab.
No, I had not read that yet. I'm getting to it. I didn't even know about Deepstack until several days ago. So, I will be getting to that sebastiantombs. Relax buddy. I'll get there. There is just a lot of info on this site to take in over a couple day period. You gotta ask questions, before you really know what to SEARCH for. ;)

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I put off installing and trying DeepStack figuring it would require a lot of tinkering. While I am sure you can tinker with it a LOT, I haven't done any tinkering with DS itself, only the BI settings related to it, which are absurdly simple. Put in the "things" you want it to find, like people, dog, cat bear, cow, etc. I find it very useful to almost eliminate false alarms. It is not perfect, but it is way better than the BI motion detection, as you would expect. It really depends on your setup and experience. If you get false alarms from shadows, moving branches, tumbleweeds, DS will be a great help. If not, it won't provide much help. It is not difficult to setup, biggest thing is that it is a little cryptic on installation - no nice GUI interface, no indication it is running or even installed! :p But, once running, it seems pretty solid. As far as CPU goes, I have a dozen cameras, half using DS, on an i7-6700. I also have OpenALPR running on two cameras, and total CPU runs close to 20%.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, in order for deepstack to run, it looks like I have to open PowerShell and run commands. What mode do most use? Custom Models, Run with All APIs. Speed Modes? Am I READING this correctly? I just read this, And that is in their site, so I guess because it is incorporated with BI, that is not the case and I don't have to use PowerShell. I guess I'll start playing and see what I need to do. And along the way, I'll read. ;)
Wow, now I have to do more reading and learning.

Last edited:

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, in order for deepstack to run, it looks like I have to open PowerShell and run commands. What mode do most use? Custom Models, Run with All APIs. Speed Modes? Am I READING this correctly? And that is in their site, so I guess because it is incorporated with BI, that is not the case. I guess I'll start playing and see what I need to do. And along the way, I'll read. ;)
Wow, now I have to do more reading and learning.
You are over thinking it. ;) While DS is very configurable, you can also just install it, make a few tweaks in BI, enable it, and see what happens. Adjust the "min confidence" on the AI setup tab, only if needed. You are done. If you want custom models, help yourself. This is the video I followed to set mine up. While this guy is a lot suspect on camera selection, his intro to DS is pretty good.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is what I have been watching over and over. Do you use the same settings as this guy does? Did you use facial recognition or not?

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No need to run powershell, BI will take care of starting AI, default setting on the BI AI configuration tab. Then you need to configure the Trigger setting on each camera to use DS analysis.

I would suggest keeping it simple since you're just getting started. Get it working first and then try other things.

There are a lot of settings, the default should get you up and running. Read the built-in help to determine what settings you want to enable, it's different for everybody depending on what you trying to get out of AI detection and how your cameras are configured.

As for facial rec, it's pretty hit and miss, mostly miss...

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is what I have been watching over and over. Do you use the same settings as this guy does? Did you use facial recognition or not?
Yes, I used his settings. No facial recognition, I don't think to he camera views, especially outside, are good enough for that. I did reduce min confidence on some cameras.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
No, I had not read that yet. I'm getting to it. I didn't even know about Deepstack until several days ago. So, I will be getting to that sebastiantombs. Relax buddy. I'll get there. There is just a lot of info on this site to take in over a couple day period. You gotta ask questions, before you really know what to SEARCH for. ;)
That's the thing I hate about text, no inflection is possible. I wasn't yelling, just trying to explain and emphasize, how to get DeepStack running and find out if it's already on your system.

Installation of the CPU version is a quick point and click. If you install the GPU version, which does require a CUDA capable NVidia graphics card, there are some extra steps needed to get all the linkages working. Still, basically, point and click but more steps.

Either way, activation once it's installed is just point and click on the AI tab in the BI configuration console and point and click in the camera trigger tab.

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, after I read some more I kind of figured that out. I'm almost done with the settings. We'll see how it goes after that.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's the thing I hate about text, no inflection is possible. I wasn't yelling, just trying to explain and emphasize, how to get DeepStack running and find out if it's already on your system.

Installation of the CPU version is a quick point and click. If you install the GPU version, which does require a CUDA capable NVidia graphics card, there are some extra steps needed to get all the linkages working. Still, basically, point and click but more steps.

Either way, activation once it's installed is just point and click on the AI tab in the BI configuration console and point and click in the camera trigger tab.
I know. The way I have it sound in my head doesn't always add up to the way that people take it. I take it wrong a lot of the time. I do like to give people a hard time though. Not in a mean way though. I am one of those easy going kind of guys, until I get the wrong buttons pushed. :idk:
I admit, I took it the wrong way at first, but with all the help you have given me over the last several days, I kind of figured you were just stating the obvious though.
I really do want to thank everyone that has been kind enough to take the time to point me in the right direction, and to point out the part of needing to READ. :D

While I'm at it, I do have a question, but it's not about deepstack. It's about settings. In the camera itself, I went and set the camera, at it's highest setting fps, because I like high quality, but in BI I set it to a much lower setting, one that is more feasible. Does that make a difference, or should I change the settings in my actual camera? I'll look at that again to make sure, but I thought I would ask.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Camera GUI setting determines actual fps sent to BI. You really want higher bit rate and higher shutter speed ( lower Ms) for better quality. Fps only determines "jerkiness" of video.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok. I do understand about the fps, and to me it does have a lot to do with quality. I have to change fps to higher, because for some reason, I get sick to my stomach and a headache when I look at jerky motion. It takes up more space, but I would rather do that, than get sick. :puke:
So, here is a scenario. I send 60fps to BI. In BI I set fps to 25fps max. Is that okay? I have bit rate at a good setting that I am okay with.
I have not messed with shutter speed. What is yours set at?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok. I do understand about the fps, and to me it does have a lot to do with quality. I have to change fps to higher, because for some reason, I get sick to my stomach and a headache when I look at jerky motion. It takes up more space, but I would rather do that, than get sick. :puke:
So, here is a scenario. I send 60fps to BI. In BI I set fps to 25fps max. Is that okay? I have bit rate at a good setting that I am okay with.
I have not messed with shutter speed. What is yours set at?
The frame rate setting in BI, should be 1 or 2 FPS above what you actually have set in the cameras'.
You will probably notice if you go back and look in BI that it has auto adjusted the frame rate up to where it needs to be.
Read the BI help file on the subject.